The Weekly intelligencer. (Atlanta, Ga.) 186?-1865
Place of Publication:
- Atlanta, Fulton county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1865.
- Atlanta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Fulton County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Fulton County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211153
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries, and online.
- Crandall: 5290.
- Description based on: Vol. 7, no. 38 (Apr. 12, 1865).
The Weekly intelligencer. April 12, 1865
The Intelligencer began weekly publication in June of 1849 using the Miscellany's old printing equipment, and covered not just local and national news, but also international events utilizing a telegraph station that ran through its building. In 1854, the paper began daily publication. The Intelligencer merged with the Atlanta Examiner in September 1857. In November of 1864, the forces of Union General William T. Sherman and his Union troops captured Atlanta and burned down substantial portions of the city. The destruction dealt a blow to the city's newspaper industry as the Intelligencer was the only Atlanta paper to survive the war. The success of the Atlanta Constitution in the post-war years, however, forced the Atlanta Intelligencer out of business in 1871.