The Southern farm. (Atlanta, Georgia) 1887-1893
Place of Publication:
- Atlanta, Fulton county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1887; ceased in 1893?
- Agriculture--Southern States--Periodicals.
- Atlanta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Farmers--Southern States--Periodicals.
- Fulton County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
The Southern farm. November 15, 1893
In the late 1880s, newspaper journalist Henry Grady took increasing interest in improving agriculture as a component of a ‘New South.' In April 1887, he bought interest in an agricultural periodical called the Georgia Stock and Agricultural Journal and renamed it the Southern Farm. He used the publication to promote his proposed improvements to agriculture in Georgia, while also simultaneously publishing the Atlanta Constitution. The eight-page agricultural journal published semi-monthly from the Constitution Building in Atlanta. William Louis Jones served as editor of the publication. Jones, who had served as a professor of agriculture at the University of Georgia, was a proponent of applying scientific methods to agricultural practices. The Southern Farm continued publication after Grady’s death in 1889, but was out of circulation by the early 1890s.