The Red and Black (Athens, Ga.) 1893-current
Place of Publication:
- Athens, Clarke county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Nov. 24, 1893)-
The Red and Black November 24, 1893
The Red and Black debuted in 1893 as a newspaper devoted to the interests of the University of Georgia's student body. Two years later, the publication was discontinued after a conflict between university faculty and the Red and Black. In September, 1895, the publication resumed as a private venture, which proved successful enough to convince faculty to reclaim the paper in 1896. The University of Georgia Athletic Association assumed control of the Red and Black, which operated there in connection with the School of Journalism. In 1980, the UGA Board of Regents voted to approve the paper's independence from the university. The Red and Black remains an independent publication and is the most widely circulated college newspaper in Georgia.