Digital Library of Georgia Logo
GALILEO Logo

Bulletin (Monroe, Ga.) 1958-1962, August 09, 1958, Image 1

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page.

Published By The Catholic Laymen's Ass'n Of Georgia Vol. 39, No. 5 Mass At The Chapel Of The Rue Du Bas Paris Proves A Fitting Preparation For Lourdes these strategic positions of the (By The Rt. Rev. Msgr. T. James McNamara, V.F.) With the Archbishop on hand to bid us Godspeed, our party was soon, by plane, over water and land on its way from Lon don to Paris. Here as elsewhere we found that neither language nor customs proved a barrier. Indeed, from Ireland to Portu gal and in between, the English language, even in the American vernacular, struck a responsive chord; not to mention the American dollar, which, to the people whose countries we were privileged to visit, had a green er tint than we Americans had visualized. I might remark in passing that when I said to the cashier in the Hotel Grande in De Gaulle’s France what was badly needed was a universal currency, he observed we had it — the American dollar. But that is another story, since our Pil grimage Party was in France be fore De Gaulle came to power. Paris — “Gay Paree” to so many and fabulous Paris to those who exult in their super latives — proved for us a most fitting preparation for Lourdes, whose centenary was the inspi ration for our Diocesan Pil grimage. No doubt Paris, like New York, is gay and some times offensive in its gaiety, but this to the casual visitor who in visiting.is distracted by the per imeter and so misses the sub stance of what makes either city click, so to speak. Paris is likewise fabulous. A wondorous city with wide boulevards, beau tiful parks, buildings, esthetic- ally charming and eloquent in historical perspective, a river, the Seine, which adds to the gracefulness of the city. Paris is without a doubt the acme of beautiful cities. Its obvious striving for the beautiful in ar chitecture, sculpture, painting and city planning might well suggest the mythological Paris and his striving for the beauti ful. There is much to captivate the eye; much to emphasize graceful living ("much to bring history to life and to spell out its meaning. The Rue de la Paix was in triguing, the Champs Elysees beguiling, the Tuileries Gar dens exquisite, the Pantheon, the Palace of Justice, the Palace de Bastille, the Invalides and the Arch of Triumph reminiscent, the Eiffel Tower challenging, but at best they were only tok ens. The Historical Paris, which makes these tokens meaningful, is written in the stones of Notre Dame Cathedral; in the deli cately beautiful Ste. Chapelle; in the Church of the Madeleine and in the towering, imposing structure of Sacre Coeur. These are the living- witness to the dead past; their hallowed walls speak out the glories of Paris and of France. They narrate the facts which resulted in the tok ens that now seize the imagina tion of the visitor. Notre Dame, one of the world’s great Cathed rals, dating back to the Twelfth Century, nestling on an island in the River Siene, seems provi dentially placed. In between the right bank and the left bank of the River, Notre Dame seems what its glorious title would in dicate — a Mother guarding the past and hopeful of the future. Here Kings and Emperors were crowned and royalty had its marriages solemnized; here, too, all Paris looks with pride. And, as if to challenge the thinking of those who would write off Notre Dame and its effect on the population of Paris, topping Montmartre is ' the imposing structure of Sacre Coeur which was built by popular subscrip tion to honor the Sacred Heart of Mary’s Son. I might -remark in passing that from the steps of this Basilica all Paris can be seen in one panoramic sweep. While Sacre Coeur dominates Paris and Notre Dame envel opes Paris, situated as it is be tween the Right Bank and the Left Bank of the Seine, it is not Sacred Heart of Jesus and His lovely Mother that prompted me to say in my previous article that Paris was not so strange an interlude before Lourdes as it might seem. Indeed, it was a fit ting preparation — a sort of day of recollection and this be cause of a hidden convent on a comparatively obscure street. 140 Rue du Bac and the Con vent of tne Daughters of Charity made Paris for us a fitting in terlude before Lourdes and gave to us the atmosphere and the spirit we were to experience tnroughout our Lourdes stay. Here as at Lourdes the presence of Our Lady pervades the place. We were not too long .in Paris when Father Bourke, Father Deimel, Father Daly and 1 were in one of those intriguingly tiny taxis of Paris and on our way to the “Seminary,” as 140 Rue du Bac is called by the Daughters of Charity. Here on his compar atively obscure street, beyond the River Seine, we went up and down the Rue du Bac seeking out the “Seminary” in whose chapel Our Lady had appeared to Catherine Laboure. None too conspicious in its exterior, we found the interior shutting off the din of city streets and creat ing an atmosphere that made for an awareness of God and His interest in the affairs of men. We were soon greeted by a charming Irish Daughter of Charity, who arranged for us the privilege which we were to share for the next two days. The following morning, at 6:15 o’ clock, the four of us arrived at 140 Rue du Bac to say Mass in the very chapel which Our Lady had visited in person on the night of July 18, 1830, and again on the 27th of November, 1830. Here intact was the body of Catherine Laboure, dressed in her habit of the Daughters of Charity. To the great astonish ment of the Doctors, Priests and Sisters who were present when after some fifty-six years of burial her body was exhumed, Sister Catherine Laboure’s body was found to be intact, even to the blue of the pupils of her eyes. Her heart which loved Our (Continued on Page Eight) Father Bourke Speaker For K. of C. Series AUGUSTA — Reverend Dan iel J. Bourke, V.F., pastor of St. Mary’s Church is currently speaking over WBBQ Radio Sta tion each Sunday evening from 7:30 p. m. until 8:fl0 p. m. This program is being spon sored by the Knights of Colum bus. His subject for Sunday, July 20th was “The Importance of Salvation”; for July 27th, “Christian Marriage.” On Aug ust 3rd his topic was “Justifi cation, or the Sacrament of Bap tism” and August 10th, he will speak on “Tis the Mass that Matters.” August 17th his sub ject will be “Thou Art a Priest Forever or the Sacrament of Holy Orders. August 24th, “Why Tell Your Sins to a Priest, or the Sacra ment of Penance”; August 31st, “If Any Be Sick Amongst You, Let the Priest of the Church be Called, or the Sacrament of Ex treme Unction.” DISPENSATION AUGUST 1 STM Due lo Ihe facr that Ihe feasl of ihe Assumption falls on Friday this year. His Ex cellency the Most Rev. Tho mas J. McDonough, D.D., J.C.D., auxiliary-bishop of Savannah has granted a dis pensation from the law of ab stinence for Friday, August 15th. DIOCESE OF SAVANNAH EDITION OFFICIAL NEWSPAPER OF THE DIOCESE OF SAVANNAH Serving Georgia's 88 Southern Counties MONROE, GEORGIA, SATURDAY, AUGUST 9, 1958 10c Per Copy — $3 a Year Attend Journalism Course Interview With Msgr. Varga Georgia students pictured here are studying an exchange paper at the Journalism Institute of the Catholic University of America. They are, le ff to right, Linda Davis, Norma Gannam, Priscilla Marano, and Kathleen Dillon, and seated at the typewriter, Peggy Schano. SMftMH STIiHTS flTTESD JOURNALISM COURSE AT CU Hungary's Plight Must Not Be Forgotten Due To Middle East Crisis (N.C.W.C. News Service) ROME —• Although its thinking is today dominated by events in the crisis-torn Middle East, the West must not forget the plight of Hungary, Msgr. Bela Varga, president of the National Hungarian Committee, said here. SAVANNAH — Five local students from Saint Vincent’s Academy have completed a four- week course in journalism for high school students at the Cath olic University of America, Washington, D. C. Taking the course.were: Linda Davis, 237 Gordon Street; Kath leen Dillion, 5411 Habersham Street; Norma Gannam, 418 West 38th Street; Priscilla Marano, 321 East 52nd Street, and Peggy Schano, 313 East 53rd Street. Under the direction of Doctor Regis L. Boyle, chairman of Catholic University’s journal ism department, the girls at tended daily classes from 9:30 a. m. to 2 p. m. They were in structed in reporting, editing, photographing, feature and edi torial writing, layout, headlines, and finance. In addition they covered stories on campus and assisted in publishing the Pioneer, the summer session newspaper of the University. Included in their agenda were field trips and tours among which were the newspaper plant of the Washington Post, Mount Vernon, and the United States Naval Academy. Besides Doctor Boyle, the teaching staff comprised Miss Mary Murray, Mrs. Richard Preston, Mrs.. Clare Wooten Crawford, and Rev. Donald Baydik, O. S. B. Enrollment in the institute totaled 87 journalists from 11 states besides Georgia and the District of Columbia. They in clude Alabama, Connecticut, Illinois, Kentucky, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Pope Names U, S. Priest Iran Attache VATICAN CITY, (NC) — His Holiness Pope Pius XII has ap pointed Father Charles Burton Mouton, a priest of the Diocese of Lafayette, La., as attache to the Apostolic Internunciature in Iran. The appointment is effective in the fall. Meanwhile Father Mouton has been assigned to work in the English-language section of the Vatican Secretari at of State. Father Mouton is a native of the Diocese of Lafayette and was ordained in its cathedral in 1949. After earning a doctor ate in theology at the Gregorian University in Rome, he returned to serve as an assistant pastor at Our Lady Help of Christians church in Jennings, La. In 1954 he returned once more to Rome and earned a doctorate in can on law. Immediately upon com pletion of these studies, he en- .Msgr. Varga, onetime presi dent of the Hungarian parlia ment, said “the Russians and communists the world over are protesting the sending of Ameri can troops to Lebanon although it was done at the invitation of the Lebanese. “But who speaks for Hungary today? Hungary, where there are Russian troops who have not been invited by the Hungari ans.” The press conference was one of several held by Msgr. Varga in European capitals to call at tention to the situation in Hun gary. Msgr. Varga flew from the committee’s headquarters in New York to talk to the press corps of Paris, Berne and Rome. He had planned to fly to the Moslem countries to present his country’s case, but said the events in the Middle East make the trip impossible now. He said the Soviets have ad mitted to keeping 60,000 Rus sian troops stationed in Hungary but that the total actually is more than 100,000. Many of these troops, both army and po litical police, wear civilian clothes and work in Hungarian factories and offices watching for any sign of rebellion, he added. “The Russians completely con trol the economic life of Hun gary,” the Monsignor said. He asserted that they have deport- tered the Pontifical Ecclesiastic al Academy to pursue its two- year course of studies in diplo macy, which he completed this year. ed Hungarian citizens to Rus sia and that Hungarian political prisoners are known to be work ing on construction projects in China and Notrh Korea. The Russians and their com munist allies in Hungary are destroying the Hungarian peo ple thruogh prison camps, labor camps, abortion and steriliza tion, he continued. He said the number of peo ple sent to prison or work camps is five times larger than the number officially publish ed. Some 20,000 Hungarians died in ihe uprising in 1956 and another 2,000 have been killed in the past two years, he added. 34,000 Catholics Live In Jordan AMMAN, Jordan — Jordan, where British paratroopers are stationed to help keep the Mid dle East’s revolutionary crisis under control, is the Holy Land where Christ was born, was crucified and rose from the dead. Somewhat larger than the state of Maine, Jordan is now a predominantly Moslem country with a small Christian minority. Catholics number about 34,000 in a total population of approxi mately 1,500,000. Most of the Catholics are de- scendended from Orthodox schismatics who returned to the Church during the 19th century. They are about evenly divided between the Latin and Melkite Rites. Rev. E. J. Kelly Named Assistant At Brunswick BRUNSWICK — Rev. E. J. Kelly, S. M., has been appointed assistant pastor to the parish of St. Francis Xavier, Brunswick, and the Southeastern Georgia Missions. He replaces the Rev. Albert Hebert, S.M., who is now making his Second Novitiate in the Society of Mary at Watch Hill, R. I. Father Kelly was born in Philadelphia, Pa. on March 20, 1913. He received his elemen tary education at the Incarna tion Parochial School in Olney, Philadelphia. His secondary stu dies were made at St. Mary's Manor, the Marist Preparatory Seminary in Penndel, Pa. Fol lowing his year of novitiate at Our Lady of the Elms, Staten Island, N. Y., he was professed in the Society of Mary on Sep tember 5, 1934. Upon completion of his major seminary courses at Marist College, Washington, D. C., he was ordained to the priesthood by the Most Rev. Michael J. Keyes, S.M., D.D., on June 9, 1940. Father Kelly pursued higher studies at Pius X School of Lit urgical Music in New York, N. Y. and at Loyola University, New Orleans, La. He gained the degree of Bachelor of Music. Until his recent appointment as assistant pastor to the Bruns wick parish, his assignments had all been in the teaching field. He has served as professor at St. Mary’s Manor, Penndel, Pa., Notre Dame Seminary, New Or leans, La., Immaculate Semi nary, Lafayette, La., and Marist College High School, Atlanta. Marist Fathers Serve This is on of a series on Re- Diocese Sixty Years ligious Communities in the Dio cese. Our next edition will fea ture the history of of the Fran- ciscians. In 1897 Bishop Becker, al ways short of priests, was at a loss to find a pastor for Bruns wick. There was relatively heavy debt on the parish and the offerings of the faithful were small. These circumstances led the Bishop to call in a relig ious society to take charge. He offered the parish and the South east Georgia missions to the M«*~ist Fathers. Their Provincial Superior, Father Onesime Ren- audier, readily accepted the charge in the name of the Very Rev. Father Superior General. At the same time the Bishop entrusted to the Society of Mary the parish of Saints Peters and Paul, now the parish of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, in At lanta. Thus began the ministry of the Society of Mary in the Diocese of Savannah. The Sacred Congregation of the Propaganda issued the necessary rescript authorizing the Bishop of Savannah to transfer the above mentioned places to the care of the Marists. An official translation of the rescript follows: “Since the Right Reverend Thomas A. Becker, Bishop of Savannah, has urgently peti tioned this Sacred Congregation of the Propaganda that he might be allowed to transfer in per petuity to the priests of the Society of Mary regularly deputed by their Superior Gen eral and duly approved by the Bishop, the parish church of the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul situated in Atlanta, together with the mission established in Brunswick this year, with full administrative rights and pas toral jurisdiction, and since the Reverend Father Onesime Ren- audier, S. M., the Provincial delegated by the Superior Gen eral, has fully consented to this proposition, His Holiness, Pope Leo XIII, has, upon the report of the undersigned Secretary of Very Rev. Daniel C. O'Meara, S.M., Provincial Washington Province the aforesaid Sacred Congrega tion, in the audience of 13 July 1897, graciously designed to re ceive favorably the petition of the Right Reverend Bishop of Savannah and has granted him all the necessary and timely faculties to transfer in perpet uity the aforesaid Missions and parish to the above mentioned Religious, and furthermore to proceed with the canonical erection and acceptance in the name of the Holy See of the congregations belonging to those churches.. . ” M. Card. Ledochowski, Praef. A. Archiep. Larissen. Sec’us. The confines of the Brunswick parish were later determined and comprised: all that portion in the state of Georgia, from the Ogeechee River on the North to the St. Mary’s River on the South. Its westward expanse extends from the Atlantic Ocean to the present day boundaries of Ware County and the Okefe- nokee Swamp. The records show that Fa ther Guinan was appointed the first Marist pastor. Upon his early transfer to Atlanta he was succeeded in office by his assis tant, Father P. J. Luckie, and it is he who is usually considered the first Marist pastor. Trials beset the Marist at the outset of their work in Georgia. The War with Spain in 1898 arrested the commerce of the city. In October of that year a combined cyclone and tidal wave de stroyed the larger part of the business section of Brunswick. The flood entered the church and destroyed almost all of the windows. When the Marists first came to Brunswick they rented a home on Union Street as a residence, but during the Spanish-American War when money was scarce, the priests moved to the Shannon house and lived there until the pres ent rectory was built in 1899. Shortly after the Marist Fa thers arrived in Brunswick, in addition to their mission field, the Bishop requested them to take over the missions of the Albany parish Willacoo- chee, Alapaha, Douglas and Mc Govern Settlement. When in 1901-1902 Bishop Kiley was able to assign a priest to Albany, the Marists withdrew. Father J. P. Cassagne, who had earlier been an assistant returned to Bruns wick as pastor in 1908 and serv ed until 1913. He is remembered for his deep devotion to the out lying missions, and it was dur ing his tenure of office that the Chapel of the Immaculate Con ception was erected at Ludowici. Father Joseph Petit, who was pastor from 1920-1924, was re sponsible for the building of the new church and the Plant Build ing in Waycross. Also, during his administration, the local Council of the Knights of Co lumbus acquired Xavier Hall, which serves as a meeting place for parish organizations. While Father Peter McOscar was pas tor (1924-1931) the chapel on St. Simon Island was built and dedicated to Saint William. Fa ther F. Perry became pastor of the parish in 1935. He organized the first Catholic Boy Scout Troop in Brunswick. Father Hasson succeeded Father Perry as pastor in 1941. During his term of office, with the un ceasing help of Father Ziebarth, the Church of the Nativity of Our Lady was built in Darien. It commemorates the Martyrs of Tolomoto (1597). Also, during Father Hasson’s administration, a third assistant was added to the parish. Father John T. Mer cer was pastor from 1947-1953, during which time St. Joseph’s Academy in Waycross and St. Joseph’s Church in Jesup were built. The Jesup church re placed the chapel at Ludowici. Father John J. Martell became pastor on August 24, 1953, just prior to the ground breaking for the convent, which was dedi cated by Bishop Hyland on March 28, 1954. The present pastor, Father James M. Cummings, took office in August of 1955. Under his leadership the new Saint Francis Xavier School has been built and was dedicated on February 9, 1958 by Bishop McDonough. At the present time the terri tory of the Marists Fathers of the parish of Saint Francis Xavier and the Southeast Geor- Rev. Louis J Marks 50th AUGUSTA — The Rev. Louis J. Mulry, S.J., Chaplain at St. Joseph’s Hospital here complet ed 50 years as a Jesuit on July 31st. Father marked the occasion by celebrating the 10:30 Mass at Sacred Heart Church on Sunday, August 3rd. Father was honored at a reception at Sacred Heart Hall from 6 to 8 p. m. on Sunday evening. Father Mulry entered the So ciety of Jesus at Macon, Ga., on July 31, 1908, at the age of 16, and was ordained a priest in June, 1923. A native of New York City, he has served the Church in a variety of assign ments, including athletic direc tor at Loyola University of New Orleans, student counselor and president of Jesuit High School in New Orleans, student coun selor at Spring Hill College in Mobile, pastor of Immaculate gia Missions still embraces eleven Georgia counties: Glynn, Camden, McIntosh, Long, Lib erty, Wayne, Brantley, Ware Pierce, Charlton and Bryan, with an area in the neighbor hood of some four thousand square miles. It includes the parish church in Brunswick, St. William’s on St. Simons Island, St. Joseph’s in Jesup, Nativity of Our Lady in Darien, St. Jos eph’s in Waycross and Our Lady Star of the Sea in St. Mary's. The assistant to Father Cum mings are Fathers Edward J. Kelly, George J. Meiluta and Joseph M. Kane. (This sketch is for the most part a condensation of facts set forth in “An Historical Record of St. Francis Xavier Church, Brunswick, Georgia.” by the Rev. John H. Hillman, S.M.) Mulry S.J. Anniversary Conception Church of New Or leans, pastor of Sacred Heart Church of Tampa, Florida, and chaplain of St. Joseph’s, where he has been for five years. Jordan Prelate Prays for Peace At Lourdes Grotto LOURDES, France (NC) — “I have prayed with all my heart for peace in the Near East and throughout the world,” an arch bishop from Jordan told import ers here. Syrian - born Archbishop Michael Assaf of Petra, who heads the Melchjte rite com munity of Jordan, left his resi dence in Amman shortly before the outbreak of the Near East crisis. He said that he has been most anxious about conditions, but had received no direct news from Jordan since the revolution in her sister country of Iraq. On his way to Brussels to par ticipate in ceremonies marking the 25th anniversary of the Work of the East organization, Arch bishop Assaf stopped here to visit the famous shrine. In a press interview, he said: “We Christian leaders, like all Christians in Jordan and the Arab countries, wish to be thfe links, the elements of concilia tion and agreement. We do not need to make definite pro nouncements on this or that po litical development. The Chris tians of Jordan have always been sincere and loyal. The 150,- 000 Jordan Christians have al ways had perfect understand ing with the Moslems who form nine-tenths of the population.