Digital Library of Georgia Logo
GALILEO Logo

The Southern Israelite. (Augusta, Ga.) 1925-1986, May 18, 1929, Image 12

Below is the OCR text representation for this newspapers page.

Page 12 The Southern Israelite John T. North Steamship Agency and Travel Bureau (>H Broad St., N. VV. Phone WAInut 0738 Agents for All Steamship Lines, Cruises and Tours Sailings—Rates and any information cheerfully given !H. I). SMITH TENT AND AWNING CO. Triitx, Auiting*, Tarpaulin# l 36' . Marii-lla Si. Atlanta, Ga. BAMES, INC. VICTHOLAS—R ADIOS Victor ami Columbia Record# 10? IVftrltlrrr Sl. % V K. U \lmtl r>77h CHAS. M. SEWAKD CO. L.latilUhril 1923 ato Khoitr* man., r. o. h«« ATLANTA, GA. WA. 9383 NiulAcmlrrn Snlrt ttffiio for NE» ENGLAND ENVELOPE GO.. Worcr.ter Kxrlu.iir Knvp|»|,r >tf*i. All Grailr. ami Slap, THE EKANK G. Mil MAN CO., I lilca*,. {.Iimnirii Label. of ^lualil) mul l>i«t ilirt Ion ACME TAG COMPANY, Minneapolis Tan*. Mall in*! tla*:.. Tan En«plopr>, Red Kopr Product. MILTON BRA OLE A CO., Sprinffteld Commercial ami Color Lillio*ira|thpr. CANODE INK COMPANY. Chicago Stencil., Ink. Mulllgraph Snpplie- * E ALSO SfXL f.Ia«.in«* Km elope., Lithographiii*: an<l Print- in*. Autographic Kcgi.lcr Roll., Standard Manifold Form*. Salp. and Ordrr Hook., and Othrr Paper Product. -WE STRIVE TO PLEASE” E.tablUhed 1923 B’NAI B’RITH SOUTHERN DIS TRICT CONCLUDES CONVENTION Mobile, Ala.,— (J.T.A.) With the voting of subventions to a number of relief and hospital institutions and the election of officers the fifty-sixth annual convention of District Grand Lodge No. 7 of the Independent Or der B’nai B’rith was closed here yes terday. Joe Morse of Nashville, Tennessee, was elected president. Other officers elected for a term of one year were: First vice-president, Morris Neyer of Houston; second vice-president, Leo Beamman of Memphis; Secretary, Myron Goldman of New Orleans, who was chosen for the post for the nine teenth consecutive term; treasurer, Archibald Marx of New Orleans. Chattanooga, Tennessee, was chosen as the place for the next convention, which will be held in May, 1930. The institutions which will be aided through subventions voted by the con vention are the Jewish Children’s Home, New Orleans; Touro Infirmary, New Orleans; Leo N. Levi Memorial Hospital, Hot Springs, B’nai B’rith Home for the Aged and Infirm, Mem phis, National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives, Denver, the Jewish Consumptive Relief Society, Denver, the A Z. A. Junior B’nai B’rith fra ternity, the Jewish Sheltering Home for Children, Denver. Nathan Goldstein of Greenville, Mississippi, was honored by the as sembled delegates as the oldest mem ber present, having attended 54 of the 5(5 annual conventions. Fifteen dele gates were elected to represent the district at the coming quinquennial convention of the Constitution Grand Lodge which will meet in Cincinnati, April, 1930. The delegates named are: J. G. Adler, Mobile, Ala., E. R. Bernstein, Shreveport, Rabbi Abram Brill, Shreveport, Leo Bearman, Memphis, Nathan Cohn, Nashville, Julius Cohn, Chattanooga, A. B. Freyer, Shreveport, Myron Goldman. New Orleans, Maurice Ilirsch, Hous ton, Charles .1. Haase, Memphis, Charles Jacobson, Little Rock, Morris Meyer, Houston, Archibald Marx, New Orleans, Charles Moritz, Mont gomery, Rabbi Martin Zielonka, El Paso. City Commissioner of Mobile, Leon Schwartz, headed the local committee in charge of convention arrange ments. The convention was closed with a prayer by Rabbi Alfred G. Moses of Mobile. MRS. ANNIE WISE, BELOVED TEACHER, TAKEN BY DEATH Pioneer in Educatona! Work Passes in Birmingham HONOR JEWISH HEROES OF CARENCY BATTLE Paris, (J. T. A.).—Impressive mem orial exercises for the several thou sand Jewish volunteers in the French army who fell in the Battle of Car- ency on May 9, 1915 were held at the Tournel Synagogue on Thursday. The synagogue was filled with rela tives of the war heroes and members of the Association of Jewish Volun teers. After the exercises the con gregation marched to the grave of the Unknown Soldier carrying a French dag with a Magen David in the cen ter. A soldier, blinded during the battle, lighted the fianie at the grave. ; •:* * * ^ * * -> •> * * * * * * * * * * ... TWO CENT LETTER COMPANY DIRECT MAIL ADVERTISING SERVICE For (Juality and Satitf action GILBERT SERVICE 604 Thrower Bldg. WAInut 3431 Atlanta Ga .. • • +❖ * * * •> * * ❖ * +4*+* •}.+* * 4* * *+•}• 4*+❖ 4*+4*+❖ ❖ * * »> .j. .{. .J. 4. .J. 4. .J, .J. .J. ^ - Mrs. Annie Teitlebaum Wise, be loved teacher in Atlanta schools for thirty-two years, who died late Sat urday in Birmingham at the home of her sister, will be laid to rest Monday afternoon in West View Cemetery, following funeral services at 3 o’clock from the chapel of Sam R. Green berg & Co. Services will he conducted by Rabbi David Marx. In tribute to Mrs. Wise and her services in the interest of education in Atlanta, an honorary es cort will attend, composed of members of the Board of Education, officials of the Atlanta school system, principals of the high schools, and officers and members of Commercial High School. The pallbearers are Willis A. Sut ton, II. Reid Hunter, Nathan Saltz- man, David Jacobs, E. C. Rivers, Louis Aronstrom, Albert Kuhn and Henry Bauer. Though her health had been bad for several years, and had led to her re tirement from the principalship of Commercial High School in 1925, Mrs. W ise's death came suddenly, fol lowing an unexpected crisis. She died at the home of her sister, Mrs. Eu gene Jacobs, of Birmingham, where she had been making her home most of the time since her retirement. In Forefront of Work Among the major figures in Atlan ta's educational history, Mrs. Wise was near the forefront. After over coming almost insuperable handicaps, she gained for herself an exceptional education, and dedicated her entire life to the service of educating young hoys and girls of Atlanta and Fulton county. She was born in Budapest, Hun gary, in 1866. She came to Atlanta as a small girl, unable to speak or understand a word of English, and, in her own phrase, “ a little green- h° vn - She entered a class in the old Walker Street School, of which the late Major W. F. Slaton was princi pal. Major Slaton, feceiving the high intelligence and the fine spirit of the little foreigner, bore sympathetically " ith her early confusion, and grad ually assisted her to an understand ing of the English language, and of local customs. The girl was in a class of small foreigners, and in June, after her en trance in November had to stand an examination in English. She led her class by a wide margin. Appointed to Faculty Graduating from grammar school with high honors, she entered Girls' High School, whence she was grad uated in 1894. So marked was her superiority, and so diligent her study ing, that three years later she \va s appointed to the faculty of that school and began immediately to lav tht foundation of the great commercia educational course which ultimateh s “ e made available for Atlanta’* youth. She attended a summer school year >, and gradually accumulated eertif mates and diplomas from various col leges and universities of the country in commerical and foreign language courses. She took summer work ai Educator Passes MRS. ANNIE T. ,*> emi nently identified with Atlanta public schools for thirty-two years, and a founder of Commercial High School, who died Saturday evening in Bir mingham. Columbia University, and finally went to The Sorbonne, in Paris, for further training. Returning from France, Mrs. Wise was still unsatisfied with her prepara tion for teaching. She matriculated at Georgia Tech, in the department of commerce, and was graduated as the only woman in a class of ninety. Commercial education became her central interest. She taught a com mercial class at Girls’ High School that offered only a one-year c iurse. This was later extended, through her efforts, to two years, and still later, after she had been made assistant principal, to three years. In 1910 she left Girls’ High School to become the first principal of the English Commercial High School for girls, with 147 students. In 1915, a? an experiment, the present Commer cial High School was established, and Mrs. Wise at last entered upon the phase of her teaching career toward which she had been steadfastly point ing for a decade. Resigns Her Post In 1920, she was instrumental in the establishment of the Opportunity School, which has enabled thousand? of Atlanta boys and girls to attend classes after their day’s work " ar completed. Failing health led her to resign her post as principal of Commercial Hig School in 1926, and hand over the reins of commercial education to those who had worked with her in la> in ^ its foundation. She was at one time president ^ the Atlanta Public School Teacher Association, and was a leading spin- in formation of the Commercial School Alumni Association. Besides her sister, she leaves a Leonard Wise, and two brother n y Teitlebaum, Atlanta, and L. H. el baum, of Memphis. Atlanta Journal.