Daily journal and messenger. volume (Macon, Ga.) 1867-1869
Place of Publication:
- Macon, Bibb county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1867; ceased in 1869.
- Bibb County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Bibb County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207988
- Macon (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Democratic. Cf. Rowell, 1869.
- Description based on: Vol. 59, no. 183 (Aug. 10, 1867).
- Merged with: Macon daily telegraph (Macon, GA. : 1865), to form: Telegraph and messenger (Macon, Ga. : 1869).
- Publishers: Rose & Burr, <1867>; J.W. Burke & Co., <1868-1869>.
- Weekly ed.: Georgia journal and messenger.
Daily journal and messenger. volume August 10, 1867
Simri Rose and Matthew Robinson began publishing the Messenger out of Fort Hawkins, Georgia on March 16, 1823. When Macon was incorporated as a town on December 10, 1823, the partners moved their paper to Macon. In 1824, Rose and Robinson changed their paper’s masthead to the Georgia Messenger. The Georgia Messenger, incorporated under S. Rose and Company, merged with the Georgia Journal in 1847 to become the Georgia Journal and Messenger. By 1850, the Journal and Messenger identified itself as Whig and achieved a circulation of 3,200. The paper eventually merged with the Georgia Weekly Telegraph in 1869 after the J. W. Burke Company sold out to Telegraph owner Joseph Clisby.