The Cedartown record. (Cedartown, Ga.) 1874-1879
Place of Publication:
- Cave Spring, Floyd county
- Cedartown, Polk county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1879.
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (June 20, 1874)-
- Cedartown (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Polk County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01218084
- Polk County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
The Cedartown record. January 9, 1874
W. S. D. Wikle established Cedartown's first newspaper in 1869 by under the masthead Cedartown Record. The Record ran without competition until Thomas Gibson founded the Cedartown Express. The Express ended publication after Gibson left to become an elder for the Methodist Church. The Cedartown Advertiser, started by Dr. William Bradford, ran for a short time after the closing of the Express and eventually merged with the Record. A locally organized stock company established the Democratic Cedartown Standard in 1889 and absorbed the Advertiser. Shortly after its foundation, E. B. Russel and W. S. Coleman purchased the paper and operated the publication continuously from 1889 to 1912. In 1912, Russel purchased Coleman's interests and was sole proprietor of the paper until his death in June 1930. As a notable contributor, Charles K. Henderson, member of company F. 3rd Georgia in the Confederate Army, wrote and published a serial history of Polk County in the Cedartown Standard, starting in 1897. The Standard continued publication into the twentieth century and is the oldest continually published paper in the county. It combined with the Rockmark Journal in 2014 to form the Polk Standard Journal under the ownership of Times Journal Inc.