The southern herald. (Athens, Ga.) 1850-1853
Place of Publication:
- Athens, Clarke county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1853.
- Vol. 18, no. 23 (Sept. 12, 1850)-
- Athens (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Clarke County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Clarke County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211777
- Also called New ser., v. 4, no. 1 (Sept. 12, 1850)-
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Continued by: Southern watchman (Athens, Ga. : 1854). Cf. Hynds, E.C. Antebellum Athens and Clarke Co., Ga.
The southern herald. September 12, 1850
In response to the Democratic Southern Banner, political opponents established a rival paper, the Southern Whig, in 1833 to support the principles of the Whig Party. The two papers competed politically and commercially throughout the 1840s. The Southern Whig ceased publication in 1850 (due in part to the declining popularity of the Whig Party) and was revived as the Southern Herald. The Herald lasted just four years, before John H. Christy reformed it into the Southern Watchman in 1854. The paper gave voice to Democratic Party opposition, which was made up mostly of former Whigs and members of the American Party, who were sometimes referred to as the Know Nothings. The political rivalry became particularly prominent in the weeks before secession. After the election of Abraham Lincoln, the Southern Banner joined many other Georgia papers in calling for Georgia's secession from the Union. The Southern Watchman, on the other hand, worked to ease tensions and promoted further compromise between the North and South. Following Georgia's decision to secede in January of 1861, the Watchman fell in line with the Banner and called for unity within the state. In 1865, the Watchman took an opposing viewpoint to the Banner by coming out against conscription. The Southern Banner and Southern Watchman merged in 1882 to become The Banner-Watchman and in 1889 became the Athens Banner The Athens Banner combined with the Herald in 1923 to become the Athens Banner-Herald.