The southron. (Gainesville, Ga.) 1875-1885
Place of Publication:
- Gainesville, Hall county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1875? Ceased in 1885?
- Gainesville (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Hall County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211767
- Hall County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 14 (June 13, 1876).
The southron. June 27, 1876
James U. Vincent, former editor of the Norcross Advance, published the first issue of the weekly Southron on January 5, 1875 in Gainesville, Georgia. Vincent acted as head of the paper’s stock company while John T. Wilson held local editorial duties. In spring of 1875, the company rebranded as the Southron Publishing Company and appointed W. F. Findley (formerly of the Gainesville Eagle) as editor of the Southron. Findley edited the paper for about a year before passing editorship to P. F. Lawshe in 1876. P. F. Lawshe was joined by W. F. Hooker in early 1877 and the two edited the newspaper while W. H. Craig was publisher. Craig left the paper in 1880 and W. F. Hooker departed in 1881. From 1881 to 1886, P. F. Lawshe managed the Southron as sole editor and proprietor. The offices of the Southron suffered a fire in the first week of January 1886, which destroyed the presses. P. F. Lawshe put out an urgent call for subscribers to pay their dues so he could pay to rebuild the paper, but Lawshe was unable to raise the necessary funds. After the Southron could not be revived, Lawshe chose to leave the newspaper business to take a job at the Equitable Life Insurance Company.