Digital Library of Georgia Logo
GALILEO Logo

The Greensboro herald. volume (Greensboro, Ga.) 1866-1886

 

Title:

The Greensboro herald.

Place of Publication:

Greensboro, Ga.

Geographic coverage:

  • Greensboro, Greene county

Publisher:

John K. Spence

Dates of publication:

1866-1886

Description:

  • Began in 1866.
  • -v. 21, no. 50 (Dec. 24, 1886).

Frequency:

Weekly

Languages:

  • English

Subjects:

  • Georgia--Greene County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01206425
  • Georgia--Greensboro.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01220350
  • Greene County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
  • Greensboro (Ga.)--Newspapers.

Notes:

  • Democratic.
  • Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 11 (July 6, 1867).
  • Editors: R.R. Thurmond, <1873>; W.M. Weaver, <1876>.
  • Merged with: Georgia home journal (Greensboro, Ga.), to form: Herald and journal (Greensboro, Ga.).
  • Publishers: James W. Winfield, <1873>; J.B. Park, <1876>.
  • Spelling of name of town varies: Greenesboro'; Greenesborough.

LCCN:

sn85034053

OCLC:

12382776

The Greensboro herald. volume March 4, 1875

About

The Greensboro Herald began publication in the spring of 1866 as a Democratic weekly newspaper. John K. Spence edited the Herald in 1867, but was no longer associated with the paper by 1868. H. M. Burns and T. A. Morgan co-owned the newspaper from 1868 until Burns became sole owner in 1870. James W. Winfield purchased the Herald in late 1872 and brought on R. R. Thurmond as editor. In 1873, Thurmond took a leave of absence due to illness, and J. Irving Westerwell replaced him. After only three years of ownership, Winfield sold out to J. B. Park and William Weaver who briefly managed the paper until J. H. Lewis and Columbus Heard became proprietors of the Herald in 1876. H. T. Lewis replaced J. H. Lewis in 1878 and in late 1885, they sold the paper to Edward Young and W. E. Reynolds. The Herald published independently until December, 1886, when W. Addison Knowles of the Georgia Home Journal bought the Greensboro Herald and merged the titles under the Herald and Journal masthead. Edward Young returned to the paper in 1888 and served as editor until 1893. By 1895, the paper was under the sole ownership of W. B. Patillo who retained control until selling out to F. B. Shipp in 1899. Shipp, along with his publisher Sam Felder, changed the paper’s masthead to its current title, the Herald-Journal. In 1906, James Cranston Williams purchased the Herald-Journal and owned the title until his death in 1936. William’s son, Carey Williams, assumed ownership of the paper after his father’s death and held that position well into the mid-century. The Herald-Journal continues publication in Greensboro and serves as the legal organ for Greene County.