Digital Library of Georgia Logo
GALILEO Logo

Macon daily enterprise. (Macon, Ga.) 1872-1873

 

Title:

Macon daily enterprise.

Place of Publication:

Macon, Ga.

Geographic coverage:

  • Macon, Bibb county

Publisher:

Lines, Wing & Smith

Dates of publication:

1872-1873

Description:

  • Began in 1872; ceased in 1873?

Frequency:

Daily (except Sunday)

Languages:

  • English

Subjects:

  • Bibb County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
  • Georgia--Bibb County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01207988
  • Georgia--Macon.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01206924
  • Macon (Ga.)--Newspapers.

Notes:

  • Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
  • Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 95 (Aug. 1, 1872).

LCCN:

sn85034220

OCLC:

12565114

Macon daily enterprise. August 1, 1872

About

Lines, Wing, and Smith’s career as publishers in Macon, Georgia began with a weekly literary newspaper titled Our Saturday Night. The literary paper, which they founded in October 1871, was short-lived, as they suspended printing in order to establish a daily newspaper called the Macon Daily Enterprise. The Enterprise emerged in early April 1872, a couple weeks after the cessation of the literary sheet. Bridges W. Smith was editor and one-third owner, and the daily paper circulated every day except Sunday at a subscription cost of eight dollars per year. The Enterprise, although also a supporter of the Democratic Party, had a tense relationship with Macon’s other, more established, daily newspaper, the Daily Telegraph and Messenger. In June 1873, this tension came to a head when the Enterprise publishers accused the Telegraph and Messenger office of a monopoly. According to the May 31, 1872 issue of the Albany News, the Enterprise claimed that the Telegraph and Messenger demanded $10,000 to $17,000 in payment before providing the Enterprise with access to press dispatches. The same month as this dispute with the Telegraph and Messenger, Enterprise editor Smith retired from his position, and T. O. Jacobs replaced him. Shares of ownership in the Enterprise changed in July 1873 when John S. Fraser purchased a one-half interest in the newspaper. The Enterprise could not compete with the much larger and more popular Telegraph and Messenger, and the Enterprise ceased publication in late 1873.