Digital Library of Georgia Logo
GALILEO Logo

The Cartersville weekly express. (Cartersville, Ga.) 1870-1870

 

Title:

The Cartersville weekly express.

Place of Publication:

Cartersville, Ga.

Geographic coverage:

  • Cartersville, Bartow county

Publisher:

Samuel H. Smith

Dates of publication:

1870-1870

Description:

  • Vol. 9, no. 2 (June 9, 1870)-v. 9, no. 9 (July 28, 1870).

Frequency:

Weekly

Languages:

  • English

Subjects:

  • Bartow County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
  • Cartersville (Ga.)--Newspapers.
  • Georgia--Bartow County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214862
  • Georgia--Cartersville.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216881

Notes:

  • Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.

LCCN:

sn88054132

OCLC:

20609321

The Cartersville weekly express. June 9, 1870

About

Samuel H. Smith, brief editor and proprietor of the Cassville Standard, established the Cartersville Express in 1858 with Dr. W. T. Gold Smith. By 1859, the Express and Standard were in a co-partnership. Much like the Standard, the Express was a Democratic publication, but the two publications differed on the topic of secession. The editors of the Express favored secessionist candidates John C. Breckenridge and Joseph Lane in the 1860 presidential election. Along with the Standard, the Express ceased publication in the early 1860s, but the Express re-opened its doors as a weekly in January, 1865. Samuel H. Smith edited the revived paper while Robert P. Milam acted as the paper’s owner. From 1868 to 1871, C. C. Morgan, Colonel J. J. Howard, and James Watt Harris would serve as co-editors with Smith. In 1871, the Cartersville Express and Cartersville Standard would consolidate under the title Standard and Express under the ownership of Smith, Wikle & Company.