The Times and state's right advocate. (Milledgeville, Ga.) 1833-1833
Place of Publication:
- Milledgeville, Baldwin county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Jan. 15, 1833)-v. 1, no. 9 (Mar. 13, 1833).
- Baldwin County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Baldwin County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01212301
- Milledgeville (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Available on microfilm from the University of Georgia Libraries.
The Times and state's right advocate. January 15, 1833
Marmaduke J. Slade, former owner of the Georgia Messenger, was publishing the Macon Advertiser in 1832 when he announced his intention to publish another newspaper in Milledgeville, which at the time was the capital of Georgia. Slade, wanting to earn a position as a job printer for the Georgia Legislature, purchased a new printing press and advertised his proposal for a paper titled The Journal and History of the Times in other Georgia newspapers. On January 15, 1833, Slade published the first issue of the retitled Times and State’s Right Advocate in Milledgeville, and, with that first issue, announced the discontinuation of the Macon Advertiser. He published the Milledgeville paper weekly and it cost three dollars per year if paid in advance; four dollars if not. True to its title, Slade’s publication was an adamant supporter of state’s rights, and the owner wrote that his beliefs aligned with that of the Troup Party. The paper’s prospectus on March 21, 1833, stated that “each state...may impose upon her the dreadful and fatal necessity of breaking the bond of union.” In March 1833, Slade slightly altered the masthead of the paper to the Georgia Times and State Rights Advocate and began printing the sheet semi-weekly during legislative sessions. In early September 1833, Slade sold his interest to lawyers Wm. S. Rockwell and Hamilton Raiford. Slade assured his readers in a valedictory editorial that the new owners shared his political beliefs, and the newspaper would maintain its character. The new owners again altered the title to The Times & State Right’s Advocate in January 1834. By October, Raiford was no longer associated with the newspaper, and Rockwell operated the publication as sole owner and editor. A year later, in October 1835, Rockwell purchased the Georgia Journal in Milledgeville, and absorbed The Times & State Right’s Advocate under the Georgia Journal title.