The Clayton tribune. (Clayton, Rabun County, Ga.) 18??-current
Place of Publication:
- Clayton, Rabun county
Dates of publication:
- Description based on: Vol. 29, no. 52 (Jan. 1, 1925).
The Clayton tribune. June 22, 1899
Using a hand press, J.A. Reynolds began publishing the Clayton Tribune in 1897. Clayton's lack of bank or railroad led to paper sometimes becoming scarce; Reynolds was forced to buy wrapping paper from local merchants to use as newsprint to avoid missing a publication. Reynolds owned and published the Tribune until 1914 when he sold the paper to Frank D. Singleton. The Tribune identified itself as Democratic paper and had a circulation of around 1,500 in 1898. Under Singleton's direction, the paper moved to a new building on Depot Street and began using a press operated by electricity. The Depot Street building would come to be called the Tribune building. For a time, the Clayton Tribune ceased publication under that masthead following a merging with the Clarkesville Advertiser. The new masthead was the Tri-County Advertiser and served as the official organ for Rabun, Towns, and Habersham counties. The Clayton Tribune was revived, however, when Singleton leased the Tribune plant to L.P. Cross; Cross released the first issue of the resurrected publication in January 1924. In 1963, after passing through the hands of Eddie Barker and R.E. Cross, the Clayton Tribune was sold to Community Newspapers, Inc. and continues to publish today.