Americus daily recorder. (Americus, Ga.) 1884-1891
Place of Publication:
- Americus, Sumter county
- None, Webster county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1891.
- Sept. 16, 1884-
- Americus (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Sumter County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216008
- Sumter County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Merged with: Americus daily times, to form: Times-recorder (Americus, Ga. : Daily).
Americus daily recorder. September 16, 1884
The Americus Recorder began as a tri-weekly publication in 1879 under the ownership of Merrel Callaway and served as a strong competitor to the Sumter Republican. Callaway, who sold his interest in the Recorder a few years earlier, joined a group to establish the Americus Times in 1890. The city couldn’t support both the Recorder and the Times and the publications ceased production in February 1891. Captain Bascom Myrick merged the two titles under the Times-Recorder moniker and resumed circulation in April of the same year. Myrick ran the paper until his death in 1895, at which time his wife, Marie Louise Scudder Myrick, took over as the owner and editor for the next twelve years. During that period, she was the only woman in the state to hold such a position. In 1907, Thomas Gamble, who would later serve as mayor of Savannah, purchased the paper and served as its editor for five years. The paper continued its success throughout the twentieth century, despite constant competition, and continues to serve the citizens of Americus.