The Dawson journal. (Dawson, Ga.) 1866-1868
Place of Publication:
- Dawson, Terrell county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 43 (Dec. 7, 1866)-v. 3, no. 26 (Aug. 6, 1868).
- Dawson (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Terrell County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01210901
- Terrell County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
The Dawson journal. December 7, 1866
Elam Christian and J. R. Christian published the first issue of the Dawson Weekly Journal on February 6, 1866, in Dawson, Georgia. The paper supported the Democratic Party, circulated on Thursdays, and carried a subscription cost of two dollars. On December 7, 1866, the owners shortened the title to the Dawson Journal. When the ownership changed in 1868, the paper again became the Dawson Weekly Journal and maintained that title until 1878. The Journal had many owners during its nearly thirty-year run. After Christian, Hoty, and Company sold the paper in 1868, Confederate veteran S. B. Weston took over the newspaper. Weston was joined by Combs in 1871, and the two co-owned the Journal until Combs’ departure in 1874. From 1875 to 1880, the paper operated under the ownership of J. D. Hoyl and Company. In 1881, S. B. Weston returned to manage the paper with Parks and Pickett. The Journal’s editors were George W. Cheves and S. B. Weston in 1882 with U. L. Weston acting as publisher. By 1884, only Cheves remained with the Journal and he sold the publication to W. N. Thorton and O. B. Stevens in 1885. Thorton and Stevens placed E. L. Rainey as the paper’s editor. Within a year, Rainey owned the publication and S. T. Jordan served as a business partner for two years. By 1888, S. T. Jordan had left the Journal, and Rainey published the paper with the aid of Fouche. Rainey left Fouche as sole editor and publisher of the Journal in 1889 to found his own Dawson newspaper, the Dawson News. The News quickly became a more popular publication in Dawson, and Fouche left the Journal to pursue other business interests. In 1891, W. O. Johnson took over ownership and reduced the subscription cost of the Journal to a dollar. This reduction in cost did not stem the loss of subscribers, however, and the Journal ceased publication by 1895.