The Danielsville monitor. (Danielsville, Madison County, Ga.) 1882-2005
Place of Publication:
- Danielsville, Madison county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1882; ceased with vol. 123, no. 29 (Dec. 30, 2005).
- Danielsville (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Madison County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01208489
- Madison County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Description based on: Vol. 11, no. 46 (May 18, 1894); title from caption.
- Final issue consulted.
- Published: Danielsville, Georgia : Jere Ayers, 1945-2005.
The Danielsville monitor. September 3, 1914
In 1882, E. J. Christy and R. H. Kinnebrew established the Danielsville Monitor in Danielsville, Georgia. The paper began as a four-page, Democratic weekly at a subscription cost of one dollar. Kinnebrew left the publication in 1885, and, by 1887, W. B. Loehr replaced Christy as sole editor and publisher. Loehr left the paper after two years, and J. B. Moon took over editing and publishing responsibilities in 1889. Kinnebrew returned to the Monitor in 1890 with E. F. McGowan as a partner. Kinnebrew again left the newspaper in 1891, and McGowan found a new partner in B. M. White. White stayed with the paper for less than two years, and McGowan was joined by B. T. Moseley in 1893. Moseley and McGowan were editors and publishers for the paper until 1900 when E. J. Christy returned to replace McGowan. Former owner W. B. Loehr founded the Madison County Argus as a competitor in the same year Christy returned to the Monitor. The Madison County Argus was not an independent entity for long. In December of 1900, it merged with the Monitor under the masthead Danielsville Monitor and Madison County Argus. This arrangement continued until March 1, 1901, when the paper returned to the Danielsville Monitor title. B. T. Moseley and E. J. Christy were the publication’s longest running owners to date until R. C. Ayers replaced B. T. Moseley in 1914. Mr. and Mrs. Ayers were owners and publishers of the paper while Christy remained as editor. The Ayers managed the paper until 1945 when J. C. Ayers took over. The Danielsville Monitor became the Madison County Journal in 2005 and continues today as Madison County’s legal organ.