The Adairsville banner. (Adairsville, Ga.) 1898-????
Place of Publication:
- Adairsville, Bartow county
Dates of publication:
- Adairsville (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Bartow County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Bartow County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01214862
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 4, no. 30 (July 30, 1898).
The Adairsville banner. July 30, 1898
Bismuth Miller established the Adairsville Banner in 1895 in Adairsville, Georgia. The paper published every Saturday at a subscription cost of fifty cents and supported the Democratic Party. Miller managed the Banner for less than a year before Elam Christian took over in December 1895. Christian, a prolific newspaperman known for short-lived tenures, left in July 1896 to pursue business interests in Douglasville. Joe P. Bowdoin became editor and publisher in Christian’s absence, and remained associated with the Banner for the next twelve years. The Banner struggled to maintain subscriptions because of Adairsville’s close proximity to Cartersville, which was home to Bartow County’s legal organ, the Courant-American. Thomas Johnson briefly joined Bowdoin as publisher in 1898, but left before the end of the year. In 1908, Bowdoin sold his interest in the paper to J. E. Scott, who partnered with Bowdoin in December 1899. After Scott retired in 1914, the Banner experienced several ownership changes before ceasing publication in 1919.