Newnan herald & advertiser. (Newnan, Ga.) 1909-1915
Place of Publication:
- Newnan, Coweta county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 44, no. 21 (Feb. 19, 1909)-50th year, no. 17 (Jan. 22, 1915).
- Coweta County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Coweta County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211861
- Newnan (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
Newnan herald & advertiser. February 19, 1909
Attorneys J. S. Bigby and J. C. Wootten established the Newnan Herald in September 1865, making it the first newspaper founded and published in Georgia after the end of the Civil War. The Herald merged with a local competitor, the Coweta Advertiser, and became the Herald and Advertiser in 1887. James E. Brown took over as editor of the paper after the merger. In 1915, the publication absorbed the Newnan News and reverted to its original name, the Newnan Herald. In 1947, the Herald moved into the same plant with another competitor, the Newnan Times (established in 1936) and the two papers merged by the end of the year to become the Times-Herald. Under that title, the paper served Newnan through the twentieth century before owners renamed it the Newnan Times-Herald. The paper continues publication as the paper of record in Coweta County.