The Fairburn waif. (Fairburn, Ga.) 1872-1???
Place of Publication:
- None, Campbell county
- Fairburn, Fulton county
Dates of publication:
- Began with May 3, 1872 issue.
- Fairburn (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Fulton County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Fulton County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211153
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 7 (June 14, 1872).
The Fairburn waif. June 14, 1872
The citizens of Campbell County named the city of Fairburn the county seat by referendum vote in 1871. Samuel J. Johnston, anticipating an economic boom in the town, founded the Fairburn Sentinel a week after A. D. Starnes established the Fairburn Gazette. The Gazette moved to Palmetto within a few weeks of its founding, which left Johnston’s Sentinel as the only weekly newspaper in Fairburn. In May of 1872, Cantrell and Andrews purchased the Sentinel and changed the masthead to the Fairburn Waif. The Fairburn Waif was ultimately short-lived and ceased printing before the end of the year.