Albany weekly herald. (Albany, Ga.) 1892-19??
Place of Publication:
- Albany, Dougherty county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1892.
- Albany (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Dougherty County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Dougherty County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211867
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Daily editions: Albany daily herald, 1891-<1906>; and: Albany herald (Albany, Ga.), 1907-
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 5 (Feb. 6, 1892).
Albany weekly herald. February 6, 1892
H. M. McIntosh established the Democratic Albany Herald in 1891 at a yearly subscription cost of five dollars. The paper competed with the daily Albany News and Advertiser until the mid-1890s when the Herald's popularity put its competitor out of business. The Sunday Herald was established in 1893 and a weekly Saturday edition in 1892. Since its founding, the paper has been a strong supporter of the area's agricultural economy and was only the second paper in South Georgia to provide readers with telegraph news. The Herald continues to circulate in Albany as the city's primary daily newspaper.