The Air-line eagle. (Gainesville, Ga.) 1860-18??
Place of Publication:
- Gainesville, Hall county
Dates of publication:
- Gainesville (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Hall County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211767
- Hall County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 28 (Feb. 9, 1861).
The Air-line eagle. April 4, 1861
W. H. Mitchell began publishing the prospectus for his weekly newspaper, the Air-Line Eagle, in July 1860. Mitchell informed readers to expect the Eagle by August of 1860 and announced the paper would be “independent in all things and neutral in nothing.” Mitchell intentionally avoided partisanship, which led to tensions with subscribers that wanted Mitchell to take a political stance regarding the tumultuous 1860 presidential campaign. The Eagle disappeared in 1861, but reemerged under a new owner in 1865. W. J. Sloan began advertising the revived title in late 1865 and claimed that the new Eagle, although published in the same place and sharing the same name, would have nothing to do with the original Air-Line Eagle. Despite these assertions, Sloan also avoided partisan editorials during his time with the paper. By 1867, Colonel John E. Redwine was editor and proprietor of the Eagle, and he steered the paper in favor of the Georgia Democratic Party. In 1871, Redwine changed the paper’s masthead to the Gainesville Eagle which continued as the publication’s title until 1947. M. Van Estes joined Redwine as an editor in 1873, and the two attempted to expand the Eagle by printing a tri-weekly and weekly edition. The tri-weekly experiment lasted for less than a year, but the Eagle continued to grow, which necessitated the hiring of John Blatts as publisher. In 1879, Colonel H. W. J. Ham, future owner and editor of the Georgia Cracker, joined Redwine as a co-editor of the Eagle. After fourteen years managing the Eagle, Redwine retired from journalism and sold his controlling interest to Ham and Loveless. Loveless left the paper before the end of 1881, and Ham sold out to Milton A. Smith in early 1882. In late 1883, a stock company purchased the Eagle, and Smith left to establish the Piedmont Press. The Gainesville Eagle and Piedmont Press merged under one stock company in 1885 to become the Eagle and Press with J. H. Butt and John Blatts as editors. The paper’s title returned to the Gainesville Eagle less than a year later. In early 1893, W. H. Craig and J.H. Williamson formed The Eagle Publishing Company and purchased the Eagle. Craig held controlling interest in the company until he left in 1907 to establish the Gainesville Herald. Guy Clopton and J. C. Otwell were elected editors and business managers of the paper, but they held those positions for less than a year. Craig, who retained partial ownership of the Eagle Publishing Company when he departed, returned and re-acquired controlling interest in late 1908. The Eagle became the Gainesville Daily Times in 1947 and eventually became the Times which publishes today as Gainesville’s legal organ.