Atlanta Georgian. (Atlanta, Ga.) 1912-1939
Place of Publication:
- Atlanta, Fulton county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 10, no. 218 (Apr. 13, 1912)-v. 38, no. 292 (Dec. 16, 1939).
- Atlanta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Fulton County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Fulton County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211153
- On Sunday published as: Sunday American.
- Published in several editions.
- Sunday edition has its own numbering.
Atlanta Georgian. April 16, 1913
In 1906, Fred Loring Seely established the Atlanta Georgian as daily afternoon newspaper. He used the publication as a forum to support prohibition and speak out against the convict labor lease system. Famed media tycoon William Randolph Hearst purchased the paper in 1912. Under his ownership, the Georgian became the third largest newspaper in the state behind the Constitution and the Journal, utilizing the sensationalist journalistic practices of other Hearst-owned papers. During this period, the paper employed Mildred Seydell, one on the first female newspaper journalists in the state. Former U. S. congressman, Ohio governor, and presidential candidate James Cox purchased both the Georgian and the Atlanta Journal in 1939, but closed the Georgian in December of that year.