The Jesup Georgian. (Jesup, Ga.) 18??-18??
Place of Publication:
- Jesup, Wayne county
Dates of publication:
- Georgia--Wayne County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211789
- Jesup (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Wayne County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 5, no. 2 (Apr. 17, 1875).
The Jesup Georgian. April 17, 1875
Colonel Keightly Stewart purchased the Blackshear Georgian in 1873, which he maintained in Blackshear until moving to Jesup in March 1874. After the move, the Blackshear Georgian, established in 1871, became the Jesup Georgian, and Stewart hired Colonel John F. DeLacey to edit the re-titled paper. The Georgian politically supported the Democratic Party and circulated weekly at a subscription cost of two dollars. In October 1874, Stewart sold the now financially struggling paper to George W. Haines and Mac Carter, and Haines replaced DeLacey in the editorial department. After less than a year owning the publication, Haines and Carter sold out to Hiram Bennett in May 1875. Bennett attempted to revive the sheet by enlarging it and purchasing advertising in nearby newspapers, but the revival did not succeed. By mid-July 1875, the Georgian was no longer in circulation.