Tri-weekly Sumter Republican. (Americus, Ga.) 1865-1867
Place of Publication:
- Americus, Sumter county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1867.
- Vol. 1, no. 13 (Oct. 31, 1865)-
- Americus (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Sumter County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216008
- Sumter County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
Tri-weekly Sumter Republican. October 6, 1866
C. W. Hancock established the Sumter Republican on February 23, 1854 in Americus, Georgia, making it the city and county's first newspaper. At the time of the paper's initial publication, the city of Americus had only existed for twenty two years and had a population of around 400 people. The paper was guided by Hancock's Democratic politics, despite the paper's name. Hancock was forced to cease publication of the paper in 1889 after the newer Recorder overtook the Sumter Republican in popularity.