Tri-weekly Sumter Republican. (Americus, Ga.) 1865-1867
Place of Publication:
- Americus, Sumter county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1867.
- Vol. 1, no. 13 (Oct. 31, 1865)-
- Americus (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Sumter County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216008
- Sumter County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
Tri-weekly Sumter Republican. October 6, 1866
Major Philip C. Pendleton established the South Georgia Times in Valdosta in 1867 as a weekly publication and ran the paper for two years before dying from injuries sustained after being thrown from a horse. His sons took over ownership and retained control throughout most of the 19th century. In 1874, the Pendletons renamed the publication the Valdosta Times. The newspaper was incorporated under the Valdosta Times Publishing company in 1889, with Charles R. Pendleton serving as president of the company. Charles G. Brantley became editor of the Times after Mr. Pendleton was replaced by D. C. Ashley as president of the Times Publishing Company. The paper began daily circulation in 1905 under the Valdosta Daily Times name to serve the growing population of Valdosta and served as a strong advocate for the city's burgeoning agriculture and industry. The paper continued publication through the twentieth century and continues to serve the citizens of Lowndes County today.