The Methodist advocate. (Atlanta, Ga.) 1869-????
Place of Publication:
- Atlanta, Fulton county
- Chattanooga, Hamilton county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1869?
- Atlanta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Chattanooga (Tenn.)--Newspapers.
- An official paper of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 24 (June 16, 1869).
- Editors: E.Q. Fuller, <Mar. 3, 1874-Dec. 13, 1882>; T.C. Carter, <Apr. 25, 1883>-Dec. 9, 1891.
- Published by: Walden & Stowe, June 9, 1880-<Dec. 13, 1882>; E.W. Mattson, Dec. 16, 1891-<Dec. 30, 1891>.
- Published in: Chattanooga, Tenn., <Apr. 25, 1883-Dec. 30, 1891>.
- Vol. numbering irregular.
The Methodist advocate. June 16, 1869
Established in Atlanta in 1869, the Methodist Advocate was an organ of the Georgia Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. Prior to the Methodist Advocate’s founding, the Southern Christian Advocate in Macon, Georgia, a refugee paper from South Carolina, was the only official Methodist newspaper in the state. Reverend Erasmus Q. Fuller, who came to Georgia from Illinois in 1868, was named editor of the Methodist Advocate. Hitchcock and Walden were publishers and managers of the publication. The Advocate reported church news and covered issues facing the Southern Methodist Church in the post-war years. During the Reconstruction era, the Southern Methodist Church was embroiled in a debate regarding race division in the church, and Fuller fell on the side of keeping conferences segregated. In the General Conference of 1872, Lucius Matlack, an opponent of separate conferences, became chair of the Committee on Boundaries. As chair of this committee and in response to Fuller’s writing in favor of racial separation, Matlack removed Fuller from his editorial responsibilities at the Advocate. For two years the Advocate was edited by the former Zion’s Herald and Wesleyan Journal editor, Nelson E. Cobleigh. By 1875, however, Fuller was again editor of the Methodist Advocate where he remained until he resigned in early 1883 due to poor health. T. C. Carter took over after Fuller’s resignation and stayed on as editor until December 9, 1891 when the Advocate’s place of publication moved to Chattanooga, Tennessee. Due to steadily decreasing subscription numbers, the Advocate ceased printing in the 1890s.