The Southern witness. (Monroe, Ga.) 1870-18??
Place of Publication:
- Monroe, Walton county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Jan. 15, 1870)-
- Georgia--Walton County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01213895
- Monroe (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Walton County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
The Southern witness. January 15, 1870
G. A. Nunnally published the first issue of the Southern Witness on January 15, 1870 in Monroe, Georgia. The weekly paper circulated every Thursday at a subscription cost of two dollars and politically supported the Democratic Party. In January 1871, Nunnally sold out to Henry C. Billings who also owned the Madison Appeal and Real Estate Advertiser. The Southern Witness became the Witness and Real Estate Advertiser, and Billings continued to individually publish the Madison and Monroe papers until 1872 when he folded both of them to publish the Georgia Home Journal.