The Clarke County courier. (Athens, Ga.) 1???-19??
Place of Publication:
- Athens, Clarke county
Dates of publication:
- Athens (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Clarke County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Clarke County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211777
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 3, no. 30 (May 1, 1903).
The Clarke County courier. May 1, 1903
The Clarke County Courier was a weekly newspaper established by J. E. Gardner. The four-page paper was first published in 1900 at a subscription cost of 50 cents, but by 1903 the price had increased to a dollar. Gardner, who owned and edited the paper for its entire existence, aligned his paper with the politics of the Democratic Party and in favor of prohibition. The paper’s peak self-reported circulation was 1,200, but, by its final year, circulation was reported at 1,000. Gardner ceased publication in 1913.