North Georgia times. (Dalton, Ga.) 18??-1868
Place of Publication:
- Dalton, Whitfield county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in 1868?
- Dalton (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Whitfield County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
North Georgia times. November 22, 1860
The Dalton Times began publication in the late 1840s before becoming the North Georgia Times under editors Christian and Fonerden in January 1854. The paper aligned itself with the Whig Party faction in Georgia. Around 1858, the North Georgia Times merged with the Democratic Expositor and under the title of the former and realigned politically with the Democratic Party. By 1860, J.T. Whitman and J.L. Caldwell were the owners of the North Georgia Times, with Whitman buying out full control of the publication the following year. Before Union troops took control of Dalton in 1864, Whitman moved his newspaper to Macon and later Cuthbert in 1865. From Cuthbert, Whitman published the newly retitled Georgia Times in partnership with J. A. R. Hanks. Following the end of the Civil War, the paper moved back to Dalton as the re-established Cherokee Georgian with Hanks serving as editor. Hanks managed the Georgian for two years before selling out to Coolidge and Harben in September of 1867, when the paper's masthead became the North Georgia Republican. The new owners supported federal reconstruction in the state. Despite the paper’s moderately Republican tone, the editors of the Weekly Georgia Telegraph lamented that the Dalton newspaper ‘has been bought out by the Radicals’ in their September 27, 1867 issue. Unable to gain local support and facing competition from the Democratic Party-aligned North Georgia Citizen, the Republican ceased publication before the end of 1868.