FEBRUARY 1, 1930
THE BULLETIN OF THE CATHOLIC LAYMEN’S ASSOCIATION OF GEORGIA
AUGUSTA EDITOR LAUDS
LATH COLORED CATHOLIC
Augusta Chronicle Pays
Editorial Tribute to C. M.
St. Joseph's Academy Is
Famed Throughout Country
AUGUSTA. Ga. — The death here
January 17 cf Charles M. Ridley, Sr.,
local tailor and one of Augusta’s
most widely known colored citizens,
occasioned an editorial tribute to him
-in The Chronicle. His family was one
of the first two Catholic colored
families in Augusta, and his funeral
was held from the Church of the
Immaculate Conceiition, Rev. A. J.
Laube, S. M. A., pastor, officiating.
Surviving are his wife, two daugh
ters, a son, two sisters, and other
relatives. His numerous friends,
white as well as colored, from all
walks of life attended the funeral.
In its lengthy editorial tribute The
Chronicle declared that “no colored
citizen of this community stood
higher. . . . He was a man of the
highest integrity, a workman of the
finest skill and a citizen of whom
anjr community might be proud. He
was polite without affectation, hum
ble without being cringing, a friend
and neighbor without guile.”
FR. MEEHAN ADDRESSES
(Special to The BuleHin)
JACKSONVILLE, Fla.-Rev. James
J. Meehan, pastor of Immaculate Con
ception Church, was the principal
speaker at the January meeting of
Court Catholic Daughters of Ameri
ca. A Valentine card party is being
planned by. the court, which will also
participate in the observance of the
silver jubilee of Court St. Augustine,
the oldest court of the Catholic
Daughters of America in Florida.
TO HEAD PILGRIMAGE
BOSTON. —His Eminence, William
O’Connell, Archbishop of Boston,
will lead the pilgrimage from his
diocese to the Carthage Congress and
Oberammergau rassion Plav, it has
been announced here. The pil
grimage will leave-Boston on April
25, on the French Line steamship
St. Augustine School of
Sisters of St. Joseph Was
Founded Year After End of
War Between the States
St. Augustine, Florida
An ideal Boarding School for girls, beautifully
situated in one of the most desirable parts of the
city, is under the administration of the Sisters of
St. Joseph. The Academy is equipped with all
modern improvements, both for the physical and
intellectual advancement of the student. A fine
open-air pool, basket ball, tennis and frequent
walks are enjoyed by the students.
The course of study in Kindergarten, Element
ary and Junior-Senior High School is carefully
planned by well trained teachers. The High School
is affiliated with the Catholic University of Wash
ington, D. C., and accredited with the Southern
Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges.
In connection with the High School there is a Com
mercial Department, giving Students an opportuni
ty to fit themselves for the business world.
The academy itself is located on a
splendid site, surrounded by waving
palms and other trees and shrubs
which give it a restful, Southern at
mosphere. In 1908 it was necessary
to erect an entirely new building
north of the old one, and this struc
ture, an . imposing four-story build
ing of brick and composition, is the
Academy proper. In the first floor
are located the large auditorium, the
dining hall, the commercial depart
ment and the music department. The
second floor is devoted to the li
brary, reading-room, art department,
recreation hall and class rooms. A
large dormitory, private rooms an,.
I baths are on the third floor, and
the fourth floor has' linen and clothes
rooms and additional private rooms.
The entire building is equipped with
the most modern improvements.
The Music Department offers instructions in
voice, piano, harp, violin, and pipeorgan.
The course in art department includes land
scape, and composition in crayon, and water
colors, tapestry, oil and China painting.
A Training School is also provided for the ed
ucation of young ladies who are desirous of enter
ing the Religious Life.
For further information address
THE MOTHER SUPERIOR.
Eugene L. Barnes & Son
Realtors and Insurers
Service and Protection
65 KING ST.
ST. AUGUSTINE, FLA.
In addition to the usual athletic-
and other equipment found on the
grounds of leading academies, in
cluding first-class tennis courts, St.
Joseph’s Academy has one of the
finest swimming pools in the South,
60 by 20 feet, graded to three feet,
and fed by artesian wells which
keep a constant supply of crystal-
clear water flowing into it at the
rate of hundreds of gallons a min
ute. The pool is located in the
middle of the grounds near the ten
In addition to the classical and
general course, St. Joseph’s has a
complete commercial course, and the
excellence of these courses is indi
cated by the fact that the school is
affiliated with the Catholic Univer
sity of America and accredited with
the Southern Association of Col
leges and Secondary Schools. Its
alumni association, to which many
men and women distinguish in many
fields in the South, is one of the
strongest organizations of its kind
in this section. The record of (. e
graduates of St. Joseph Academy ip
the greatest tribute that could be
paid to the untiring, scholarly ef
forts of the Sisters of St. Joseph.
St. Augustine Parish j
Founded in 1565 I
(Continued B’rom Page Seven)
All Agreements Subject to Strikes, Accidents and
Other Delays Beyond Our Control
on the hapazards of the hunt fer
their living, and more on the cultiva
tion of the soil, the raising of corn
and vegetables, hogs and poultry.
It is to be regretted that little be
sides the names of the missionary
stations be left to perpetuate the
memories of those by-gone days. Mis
sion houses, chapels, seen at one
time in forty or more Indian settle
ments, have disappeared, and hard
ly can we today tell where they once
stood. Partial revolts cf Indian
tribes, above all. the raids more ,and
mere frequent from the English
colonies of Georgia and Carolina,
which lasted from the year 1702 to
the time when General Oglethorpe
led (1740) an expedition against lit.
Augustine, all, by turns, aided in
completing the ruin of the Iiv.io.n
FORMER AUGUSTAN DIES
AT HIALEAH, FLA.
St. Joseph’s Academy of St. Au
gustine, conducted by thd Sisters of
St. Joseph of Florida, whose mother-
house is there, is famous through
out the United States and beyond.
It was founded in 1866 by the Sis
ters of St. Joseph of Puy, France,
under the auspices of the saintly
Bishop Verot, the first Bishop of
St. Augustine. In 1889 it was char
tered by the State Legislature; ‘it is
accredited with the Southern Asso
ciation of Colleges and Secondary
Schools and affiliated with the Cath
olic University of America.
Not far from the Academy is plac
id Matazes Bay, lapping the sea
wall; more distant is the restless
Atlantic from which the breezes blow
to make semi-tropical St. Augus
tine a place of comfort.
AUGUSTA, Ga. -— The funeral of
Marion Frank Bell, for many years a
prominent Augusta contractor hut re
cently of Hialeah, Fla., where he died
January 15, was held January 20 from
Sacred Heart Church, with interment
in Westover Cemetery. Pallbearers
were John L. Armstrong, Patrick H.
Rice, Patrick J. Rice, C. J. Gleason,
A. D. Tobin and James B. Mul-
Death Claims John
T. Lynch, Atlanta
ATLANTA, Ga. —John T. Lynch,
widely known Atlanta, who had
conducted here for many years a
tailoring business his father estab
lished in 1855, died January 16, af
ter an extended illness. Mr. Lynch,
who was 69 years old. was a mem
ber of Sacred Heart Church, from
which his funeral was held. His
widow and a nephew, Henry C.
Taylor, survive him.
St. Vincent College
Priest Dies in Crash
Wholesale and Retail
Lumber and Building Material
LATH and CYPRESS SHINGLES
T. L. HOWELL
President and Treasurer
M. M. BOND
T. L. HOWELL, JR.
M. C. ARMSTRONG
Asst. Gen. Manager.
New Smyrna, Fla.
ST. AUGUSTINE, FLA.
(By N. C. W. C. News Service) ,
GREENSBURG, Pa. - The Rev.
Alexis Udavoak. 30, professor. of
botany and biology at St. Vincent
College. Beauty, was killed instantly j
early June 20 when the automobile
. in which he was riding was side-
swiped by another and overturned.
The Rev. Paul K. Odelga. 33. pas
tor of St. Florian’s Church. United,
who also was in the car, suffered a
possible fracture of the skull and is
in Westmoreland Hospital, where his !
condition was reported as critical.
Father Udavcak was ordained only
six months ago.
NEW YORK C. D. OF A.
H OLDS CONVENTION
NEW YORK. — Several hundred
state officials, district deputies and
regional leaders, grand regents and
court officials attended a conference
of the New York state jurisdiction of
the Catholic Daughters of America,
held here January 12, at the call of
the new state recent, Mrs. Margaret
Tynan of Poughkeepsie. Between
400 and 500 officials attended the con
ference, the first to be held since
Mrs. Tynan assumed office recently.
“If It’s Heat You Want
You Can Do Better With Gas”
The Cathedral of St. Augustine
(Oldest Church in the United
States) is made comfortable by 20
Clow Gasteam radiators totaling
2000 feet of radiation.
The Cathedral Rectory is gas equip
ped throughout, heating, cooking,
The Cathedral Lyceum Building is
supplied with hot water from a Ruud
500-500 Multicoil Storage System.
AUGUSTINE GAS po.
and Electric Light
St. Augustine Music &
All That’s Best m Home
119 St. George Street
St. Augustine, Florida
Yellow Pine and ,
Sash, Doors, Builders’ Hardware.
Paints, Varnishes, Brushes, Shingles,
Cement, Plaster, Brick, Lime,
Flue Lining, Oak Flooring.
50 Bernard Street. Telephone 318.
ST. AUGUSTINE. FLA.