The Georgia bulletin (Atlanta) 1963-current
Place of Publication:
- Atlanta, Fulton county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Jan. 4, 1963)-
- Atlanta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- "Official organ of the Archdiocese of Atlanta."
- Includes supplements.
The Georgia bulletin January 4, 1963
In an effort to fight Catholic prejudice and resist the spread of false information regarding Catholic beliefs and history, the Catholic Laymen's Association (CLA) of Georgia was founded in 1916. The CLA published pamphlets that explained Catholic beliefs for several years and before establishing The Bulletin of the Catholic Laymen's Association of Georgia, in January of 1920. The Bulletin ran as a monthly newspaper out of Augusta until 1956 when the organization changed the name to The Bulletin of the Catholic Laymen's Association of Georgia, Official Newspaper for the Diocese of Savannah & Atlanta; this change coming after the diocese divided into two regions, Atlanta and Savannah. For a few months in early 1958, the Diocese of Savannah published the Savannah Bulletin, before the Bulletin began circulating two editions for Savannah and Atlanta through 1962. In 1963, the publication split into two separate diocesan papers, the Georgia Bulletin (Archdiocese of Atlanta) and the Southern Cross (Diocese of Savannah). The CLA disbanded in 1962, but the Georgia Bulletin continues publication as the official newspaper of the Archdiocese of Atlanta.