The Georgia weekly. (Greenville, Ga.) 1861-186?
Place of Publication:
- Greenville, Meriwether county
- Talbotton, Talbot county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Feb. 6, 1861)-
- "Devoted to Southern literature, news, and general information."
- Appears to be published at Talbotton, Ga., 186<4>.
- Wm. Henry Peck, ed. & proprietor; pub. by Peck & Lines.
The Georgia weekly. February 6, 1861
William Henry Peck, a prominent 19th century southern writer, established The Georgia Weekly as a literary quarto in 1860. The founding of his paper coincides with his return to Georgia after spending several years as a professor at Tulane University in Louisiana. The original iteration of the Weekly ceased printing in late 1860, but, after taking a job at the Masonic Female College in Greenville, Georgia, Peck revived his literary sheet as a standard-sized newspaper. The first issue of the new Georgia Weekly published on February 6, 1861, with its editors listed as “Peck & Lines.” The paper frequently featured literary works and editorials (including Peck’s own writing) alongside notable news, general information, and advertisements. In August 1863, Peck took a job at the LeVert Female College in Talbotton, Georgia and brought the Weekly along with him. Although Peck continued to produce literary content and contribute to the New York Ledger, he ceased publication of his newspaper in the mid-1860s.