The Rome weekly courier. (Rome, Ga.) 1860-1887
Place of Publication:
- Rome, Floyd county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased with Oct. 1, 1887 issue.
- Vol. 15, no. 10 (Jan. 6, 1860)-
- Floyd County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Floyd County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01213151
- Rome (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Other eds.: Rome tri-weekly courier, 1860-1881; Rome daily courier, 1881-1887.
- Suspended May 17, 1864; resumed on Aug. 31, 1865.
The Rome weekly courier. January 6, 1860
Captain Melville Dwinnell established the Rome Courier as one of the city’s first newspapers in 1843. The publication traced the early development in the city of Rome, which was founded a decade earlier on the Cherokee settlement Head of Coosa. The Rome Courier began as a weekly publication before transitioning into a tri-weekly newspaper in the 1860s and eventually began daily publication after the Civil War. During the Rome Courier’s antebellum years, Dwinnell traded subscriptions for firewood, clothing, and food. Once the war broke out, he joined the Confederate cause and sent newspaper reports from the front. On May 4, 1864, Union forces took over Rome and seized control of the Rome Courier, publishing the Union Flag in its place. The newspaper resumed publication in the post-war years, even employing Georgia newspaper legend Henry Grady for a short time. Dwinnell remained owner of the Courier before selling it in January 1885. The new publisher renamed the paper the Tribune of Rome in October 1887. The Tribune merged with the Rome Herald in 1908 and the Rome News in 1923 to become the Rome News-Tribune, which continues publication to the present day.