The La Grange reporter. (La Grange, Ga.) 184?-193?
Place of Publication:
- LaGrange, Troup county
Dates of publication:
- Georgia--Troup County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215298
- LaGrange (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Troup County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 13, no. 1 (Jan. 1, 1857).
The La Grange reporter. January 1, 1857
The LaGrange Herald, started by Dr. Bronson as a weekly publication in 1843, was the first newspaper established in LaGrange and one of the earliest in western Georgia. It was later renamed the Chattahoochee and by the mid-1850s the paper was again retitled the LaGrange Reporter. William J. Scott and Judge Alexander M. Speer were early editors. Thomas J. Bacon edited the paper until 1861 and was killed in 1862 during the Battle of Seven Pines. During the Civil War and in the years that followed, C. H. C. Willingham edited the paper. He was a staunch critic of the Federal occupation of the South after the war and was nearly arrested on several occasions for his criticisms. The masthead remained LaGrange Reporter until a 1928 merger in which, the LaGrange Reporter, LaGrange Graphic, and LaGrange Shuttle were all absorbed into the LaGrange Daily News, which continues publication in LaGrange to the present day.