Digital Library of Georgia Logo
GALILEO Logo

Southern cultivator. (Augusta, Ga.) 1843-188?

 

Title:

Southern cultivator.

Place of Publication:

Augusta, Ga.

Geographic coverage:

  • Augusta, Richmond county

Publisher:

None

Dates of publication:

1843-188?

Description:

  • Began in 1843.

Frequency:

Weekly Nov. 3, 1864-

Languages:

  • English

Subjects:

  • Agriculture--Periodicals
  • Agriculture--Southern States--Newspapers.
  • Augusta (Richmond County, Ga.)--Newspapers.
  • Richmond County (Ga.)--Newspapers.

Notes:

  • A journal, devoted to the interests of Southern agriculture; designed to improve the mind, and elevate the character of the tillers of the soil, and to introduce a more enlightened system of culture.
  • Description based on: Vol. 22, no. 4 (April 1864); title from caption.

LCCN:

sn83002253

OCLC:

9910145033802931

Southern cultivator. April 1, 1867

About

J.W. and W.S. Jones published the first issue of the Southern Cultivator on March 1, 1843 in Augusta, Georgia. The paper was a semi-monthly journal that featured essays and educational materials related to southern agriculture. The first year included articles on subjects such as the preservation of peach trees, preparation for winter, and preventing whooping cough. After the Civil War, the Cultivator moved to Athens, Georgia with Wm. and W. L. Jones as the editors and publishers. The paper’s publishing frequency transitioned to monthly and it called itself an “Agricultural and Literary Monthly Publication.” The paper remained in Athens until 1881 when it began printing out of the offices of the Atlanta Constitution. The paper gradually absorbed other farm journals and became the Southern Cultivator and Dixie Farmer after merging with the Dixie Farmer in 1882. The Cultivator returned to semi-monthly publication in 1884 under the ownership of J.P. Harrison and Company. In the late 1880s, the journal was reorganized under the Cultivator Publishing Company, which retained ownership of the paper into the twentieth century.