The monitor. (Washington, Ga.) 1800-1815
Place of Publication:
- Washington, Wilkes county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1800?
- -v. 14, no. 724 (Jan. 6, 1815).
- Georgia--Wilkes County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01206962
- Washington (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Wilkes County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Women in the printing and publishing trades.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 61 (Apr. 24, 1802).
- Publisher: D.P. Hillhouse, <Mar. 7, 1812>-Jan. 6, 1815.
The monitor. April 24, 1802
Washington’s first newspaper, the Washington Gazette, was founded in 1800 by former state printer and publisher of Augusta’s Southern Centinel and State Gazette, Alexander McMillan. In June, 1801, David Hillhouse purchased the Washington Gazette and changed the masthead to the Monitor. Hillhouse served as editor and publisher of the newspaper until his death March 24, 1803. Hillhouse’s wife, Sarah Porter Hillhouse, became the first female newspaper editor in Georgia when she took over editorial and publishing control following her husband’s death. The Monitor ran under the same title for twelve more years, publishing state and European news copied from Augusta papers and following local events; In January of 1815, John K. M. Charlton purchased the Monitor and combined it with his newly establishedThe Friend to create The Friend and Monitor.