The weekly loyal Georgian. (Augusta, Ga.) 1867-1868
Place of Publication:
- Augusta, Richmond county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1867; ceased in 1868.
- African Americans.--fast--(OCoLC)fst00799558
- African Americans--Georgia--Newspapers.
- Augusta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also published in a daily ed.: Daily loyal Georgian.
- Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 27 (Aug. 10, 1867).
- Latest issue consulted: Vol. 2, no. 54 (Feb. 15, 1868).
- Microfilmed by the Library of Congress for the Committee on Negro Studies of the American Council of Learned Societies.
- Organ of: Georgia Education Association and the Republican Party.
The weekly loyal Georgian. August 10, 1867
The Loyal Georgian’s origins stem from Augusta’s first Black-Republican newspaper, the Colored American. John T. Shuften founded the Colored American in October of 1865 with the assistance of African Methodist Episcopal Church missionary James D. Lynch. Shuften was the editorial voice of the weekly newspaper advocated for the rights recently-freed African Americans. In January 1866, the newly formed Georgia Equal Rights Association purchased the publication to serve as its new organ. The organization changed the title to the Loyal Georgian and John Emory Bryant, a former Freedmen’s Bureau agent, became editor of the newspaper. Despite coming from the same printing press and subscriber list as the Colored American, the Loyal Georgian restarted volume and issue numbering with its inaugural issue on January 20, 1866. The paper reported local and national news, but also focused heavily on matters concerning African Americans and unabashedly promoted the Republican Party. Much like other Republican sheets in the state, the Loyal Georgian relied on federal patronage in the form of military notices to financially sustain itself. Bryant acquired state patronage in March of 1867 when Edward McPherson, a Republican representative in Georgia, appointed the Loyal Georgian and the Savannah Republican to publish laws. With state and federal support, Bryant was able to establish a daily edition titled the Daily Loyal Georgian which he printed alongside the Weekly Loyal Georgian. The paper continued to struggle to acquire advertisers, however and faced closure until Rufus Bullock and fellow Augusta Republicans formed the Georgia Print Company and purchased the Loyal Georgian. On August 6, 1868, Bryant’s paper was dealt a blow when now Governor Bullock appointed Samuel Bard of the Daily New Era to the post of State Printer. The Loyal Georgian was one of the three Republican sheets to cease publication by the end of 1868 due to the loss of patronage, leaving only two Republican papers in Georgia. Bryant establish the Georgia Republican in July 1869, but he considered this paper to be separate publication from the Loyal Georgian.