The Georgia enterprise. (Covington, Ga.) 1865-1905
Place of Publication:
- Covington, Newton county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1865.
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Nov. 9, 1865)-v. 41, no. 34 (Aug. 25, 1905).
- Covington (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Newton County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217184
- Newton County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Available on microfilm from the State Historical Society of Wisconsin and the University of Georgia Libraries.
- Publishers: Anderson & Hawkins, <1873>.
The Georgia enterprise. November 9, 1865
Colonel James Washington Anderson moved to Covington, Georgia in 1865 and founded the Georgia Enterprise with business partner James Delaney. Anderson and Delaney appointed William L. Beebe as their editor and published the first issue of the Enterprise on November 9, 1865. The paper was a Democratic weekly and carried a subscription cost of two dollars per year. In 1867, the owners expanded the business by publishing a second paper in Conyers titled the Conyers Enterprise that remained in circulation until early 1874. Delaney left the Georgia Enterprise in 1872, and Sion W. Hawkins, Beebe’s step-son, joined Anderson as a co-publisher. In 1873, Anderson sold his controlling interest of the Enterprise to Hawkins and Beebe and founded his own independent paper, the Covington Star. Hawkins and Beebe co-owned the Enterprise until Beebe left the state in 1878; Hawkins was sole editor and publisher of the paper until his death in 1898. After her husband’s death, Camilla Hawkins managed the paper, but she sold out to Charles G. Smith before the end of 1898. Smith owned the Covington Enterprise for about six years and he shortened the paper’s title to the Enterprise in 1905. James P. Cooley owned and operated the paper for a single year in 1907 before L. L. Flowers and Edwin Taylor bought out the Enterprise in 1908. Before the close of 1908, the owners reset the paper’s enumeration and renamed the publication as the Covington News. The News continues to print today as Newton County’s legal organ.