Berrien County news. (Alapaha, Ga.) 1875-1886
Place of Publication:
- Alapaha, Berrien county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1875; ceased in 1886?
- Berrien County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Berrien County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211755
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 37 (Mar. 4, 1876).
- Editor: Robert K. Turner, <1876>.
Berrien County news. May 19, 1877
Robert K. Turner founded the Berrien County News in 1875 in Alapaha, Georgia. The weekly Democratic newspaper published every Saturday for a subscription cost of a dollar and a half per year. For the paper’s eleven year run, it was the only newspaper in Berrien County. After two years as sole editor and publisher, Robert Turner handed the paper to A. H. Turner, who managed the paper for two years. From 1879 to 1886, the newspaper’s ownership changed several times. M. C. Austin edited and published the paper in 1879 and sold ownership to J. W. Hanlon. Hanlon brought on a partner in W. H. Lastinger who published the paper while Hanlon edited. In 1881, Lastinger was the News’ only owner, and he remained with the paper until J. D. Richardson took over in 1883. Richardson continued publishing the paper through 1884. In 1885, The News again had new ownership under J. M. Griggs. Griggs was the newspaper’s final owner when the publication ceased printing in 1886.