The Butler herald. (Butler, Ga.) 1875-1962
Place of Publication:
- Butler, Taylor county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1875.
- -v. 86, no. 43 (July 26, 1962).
- Georgia--Taylor County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215825
- Taylor County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 39 (July 18, 1876).
- Editor: W.J. Mathis, <1876>.
The Butler herald. December 15, 1876
William B. Burch established the Butler Herald in Taylor County on October 1, 1876. He only held the paper for six months before selling it to Jap Mathews, who himself only owned the paper for a few months before selling it to William N. Benns. During this time, the Herald proudly accepted "chickens, eggs, butter, wood, corn, potatoes, and any kind of country produce" as payment for subscription. William's son, Charles E. Benns took over control of the publication after his father's death in 1909. He remained at the helm before passing the editor duties to his son Charles E. Benns, Jr. in 1938. The paper remained in under Benns family control until 1962, when the Butler Herald merged with the Taylor County News to form the Taylor County News and Butler Herald. The publication continues to serve the citizens of Taylor County in the twenty-first century.