The Oglethorpe echo. (Crawford, Ga.) 1874-current
Place of Publication:
- Crawford, Oglethorpe county
- Lexington, Oglethorpe county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 1, no. 1 (Oct. 9, 1874)-
- Place of publication moved to Lexington, Ga., Dec. 22, 1876.
The Oglethorpe echo. October 9, 1874
T. L. Gannt published the first issue of the Oglethorpe Echo in Crawford, Georgia, on October 9, 1874. Gantt, formerly a junior editor for the Athens North-East Georgian, wanted to establish his own newspaper. The Echo printed weekly at a subscription cost of two dollars per year and aligned with the Democratic Party. In December 1876, Gantt relocated the Echo to Lexington, the county seat of Oglethorpe County, Georgia. Gantt’s paper was successful enough that he expanded it from four pages to eight in 1880. In August 1881, Gantt put the Echo up for sale, and John A. Haire and W. A. Shackleford purchased the newspaper in October 1881. W. A. Shackleford owned and edited the Echo for the next sixty-three years. The Oglethorpe Echo continues to publish today as Oglethorpe County’s legal organ.