The Atlanta daily intelligencer. (Atlanta, Ga.) 1854-1857
Place of Publication:
- Atlanta, Fulton county
Dates of publication:
- Began in Sept. 1854; ceased in Sept. 1857.
- Atlanta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Fulton County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Fulton County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01211153
- Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 184 (Apr. 29, 1856).
- Editors: W.B. Ruggles & J.W. Duncan, <1856>-1857; J.W. Duncan, <1857>.
- Merged with: Atlanta daily examiner, to form: Atlanta daily intelligencer and examiner.
- Publishers: W.B. Ruggles & J.W. Duncan, <1856>-1857; J.W. Duncan, <1857>.
The Atlanta daily intelligencer. April 29, 1856
The Intelligencer began weekly publication in June of 1849 using the Miscellany's old printing equipment, and covered not just local and national news, but also international events utilizing a telegraph station that ran through its building. In 1854, the paper began daily publication. The Intelligencer merged with the Atlanta Examiner in September 1857. In November of 1864, the forces of Union General William T. Sherman and his Union troops captured Atlanta and burned down substantial portions of the city. The destruction dealt a blow to the city's newspaper industry as the Intelligencer was the only Atlanta paper to survive the war. The success of the Atlanta Constitution in the post-war years, however, forced the Atlanta Intelligencer out of business in 1871.