The commonwealth. (Atlanta, Ga.) 1861-1862
Place of Publication:
- Atlanta, Fulton county
Dates of publication:
- Began in Mar. 1861; ceased in 1862?
- Atlanta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- United States.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01204155
- United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 7 (Mar. 14, 1861).
- Publishers' names recorded in Brantley, R.L. Ga. journalism of the Civil War period.
- Weekly ed.: Georgia commonwealth.
The commonwealth. March 14, 1861
Founded by the Commonwealth Publishing Company in March of 1861, the Commonwealth was a daily evening newspaper published in Atlanta. The publication was edited by J. S. Peterson and W. G. Whidby during its short run. By 1862, the paper struggled to find materials to print on, turning to different varieties of paper including brown wrapping paper, Manila paper, and wallpaper. In 1863, the title changed to the Daily Commonwealth. The publication was one of four dailies in Atlanta during the Civil War, but ceased printing by 1864.