The Bainbridge weekly sun. (Bainbridge, Ga.) 1872-????
Place of Publication:
- Bainbridge, Decatur county
Dates of publication:
- Vol. 3, no. 5 (July 20, 1872)-
- Bainbridge (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Decatur County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Decatur County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01208948
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Editor: John R. Hayes, <1873>.
The Bainbridge weekly sun. July 27, 1872
George A. Padrick founded the Southern Georgian in 1866 as a weekly newspaper in Bainbridge, Georgia. A religious paper of the same masthead briefly existed in 1859, but Padrick’s paper was considered separate from this older publication. By 1868, William E. Hamilton and B. F. Burfield edited and published the Southern Georgian for a subscriber base of about 500. In 1869, John R. Hayes purchased the Georgian and changed the title to the Southern Sun. Johnston and Ledwith joined Hayes as editors in 1871, and the newspaper continued under the management of the J. R. Hayes and Company until late 1873. Now called the Bainbridge Weekly Sun or Bainbridge Sun, the paper fell under ownership of Republican congressman Richard H. Whiteley in September of 1873. Whiteley sharply changed the typically Democratic-leaning Sun into a largely Republican sheet. This shift in tone resulted in the loss of advertisers and the Sun ceased publication by 1875.