The Eastman times. volume (Eastman, Dodge County, Ga.) 1873-1888
Place of Publication:
- Eastman, Dodge county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1873; ceased in Nov. 1888?
- Dodge County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Eastman (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Dodge County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215292
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 3 (Jan. 31, 1873).
- Editors: R.S. Burton, J.H. Ryals, <1876>.
- Merged with: Dodge County journal, to form: Times-journal (Eastman, Ga.).
- Publishers: R.S. Burton, <1873>; Burton & Ryals, <1876>.
The Eastman times. volume January 31, 1873
The Eastman Times began publication in 1973, the same year the city of Eastman (formally Levinson) was incorporated. Robert S. Burton published the Times while Colonel H. W. J. Ham held editorial duties for the paper. In November of 1873, Ham retired, leaving R. S. Burton as the Times’s sole editor and proprietor. Burton owned and operated the Times until October, 1877, when he left to start the South Georgian in Macville, Georgia. M. L. Burch took over ownership of the Times in Burton’s absence and managed the paper until 1886 when he was joined by E. B. Milner. On June 11, 1887, the offices of the Eastman Times experienced a fire that wiped out the press and caused an estimated 1,500 dollars in losses. Burton, who returned to Eastman in 1882 to found the Dodge County Journal, took over the Times’ subscriber list in 1887. In January of 1888, W. W. Pendleton purchased an interest in the Journal and helped Burton organize the Times Publishing Company. The paper’s title became the Times-Journal in December, 1888, and the masthead remained unchanged until 1974. After several name changes, the Times-Journal ceased publication in 2006.