The Monroe advertiser. volume (Forsyth, Ga.) 1856-1974
Place of Publication:
- Forsyth, Monroe county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1856.
- Ceased in 1974?
- Forsyth (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Monroe County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01217766
- Monroe County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- "Democratic," <1876>.
- Description based on: Vol. 17, no. 48 (Jan. 28, 1873).
- Suspended for a short time in 1865. Cf. Gregory, W. Amer. newspapers.
The Monroe advertiser. volume January 28, 1873
James P. Harrison purchased the Forsyth Journal in early 1867 and changed the title of the weekly Democratic newspaper to the Monroe Advertiser. Prospectuses for the newly titled paper begin appearing as early as February of that year, and Harrison requested that patrons of the twelve-year old Journal continue to support his Advertiser. A young Joel Chandler Harris worked for Harrison at the Advertiser beginning in 1867, but left in 1870 to become an associate editor of the Savannah Morning News. In 1871, the Advertiser won a gold medal as a premium weekly newspaper in Georgia. Harrison owned and operated the paper until 1873 when George A. King and Company took ownership. The new owners placed William D. Stone as editor, but Stone remained with the paper for only a year. Ibriggs H. Napier replaced Stone, but he also held that position for a short time. By 1875, George A. King and Henry H. Cabaniss co-owned the Advertiser with Cabaniss also taking on editorial responsibilities. The partners managed the paper until King departed in 1880, leaving Cabaniss as editor and proprietor. In March of 1882, Cabaniss sold out to former Athens Banner owner, J. T. Waterman. Waterman held the Advertiser for roughly two years before leaving to take ownership of the Griffin Sun in early 1885. J. T. McGinty and M. C. Cabaniss became the new proprietors of the Monroe Advertiser, and they operated the paper until late-1895. In September of 1895, Clarence W. Brantley and William E. Sanders ceased publication of their short-lived paper, the Monroe Hustler, and purchased the Monroe Advertiser. Brantley stayed for only a year, and the paper was edited by Sanders and Evans after Brantley’s departure. In 1899, Sanders sold out to John G. McDonald, but both Sanders and Evans returned in 1900 as owners. J. A. Bagwell took over the Advertiser in 1909. John M. McDowell purchased the paper in 1911 but was owner for only a year before Oliver H. B. Bloodworth and L. S. Jackson took over. In 1917, the Advertiser found a long-term owner in J. H. Clarke, Jr. The Advertiser continued to publish in Forsyth, Georgia for most of the twentieth century, eventually ceasing publication in the 1970s.