McDuffie weekly journal. (Thomson, McDuffie County, Ga.) 1871-1909
Place of Publication:
- Thomson, McDuffie county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1871; ceased in 1909?
- Georgia--McDuffie County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01216474
- McDuffie County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Thomson (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 2, no. 4 (Jan. 31, 1872).
McDuffie weekly journal. January 31, 1872
Mrs. W. H. Royal, after inheriting the materials of the Hancock Journal from her late husband, established the McDuffie Weekly Journal in February 1871 in Thomson, Georgia. Charles S. Dubose had editorial control of the newspaper, which circulated weekly at a subscription cost of two dollars per year. Mrs. Royal sold out to Dubose and Robert T. Barksdale later that year, who managed the paper until January 1872 when H. C. Roney and W. D. Sullivan purchased the paper. H. C. Roney was sole editor and proprietor in October 1872 when Jordan E. White, a local educator and lawyer, joined the newspaper as an associate editor. By 1879, after a number of partners retired, White owned the Journal outright. After White’s sudden death on September 15, 1909, the McDuffie Weekly Journal ceased publication.