The Washington gazette. (Washington, Ga.) 1866-1904
Place of Publication:
- Washington, Wilkes county
Dates of publication:
- Ceased in Dec. 1904.
- Vol. 1, no. 21 (Apr. 27, 1866)-
- Georgia--Wilkes County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01206962
- Washington (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Wilkes County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Merged with: Washington chronicle (Washington, Ga.), to form: Gazette-chronicle.
The Washington gazette. April 27, 1866
James A. Wright published the first issue of the Washington Gazette on April 27, 1866 in Washington, Georgia. Wright’s Democratic weekly newspaper took over as the city’s legal organ that year, a responsibility surrounding newspapers in Augusta and Milledgeville handled previously. In April 1871, a company headed by H. F. Andrews purchased the Gazette, and Andrews took over editorial duties. In October 1877, J. W. Chapman, a former associate of the Talbotton Standard, purchased an interest in the Gazette, and he owned the paper outright by 1878. This arrangement continued until the formation of the Wilkes Publishing Company in the late 1880s. The company purchased both the Washington Gazette and its competitor, the Washington Chronicle, but continued to publish each paper separately throughout the 19th century. In December 1904, the company chose to merge the titles, which formed the Gazette-Chronicle. The Gazette-Chronicle served as Wilkes County’s legal organ into the early 1910s, when the paper suspended operations.