Upson pilot. (Thomaston, Ga.) 1858-1864
Place of Publication:
- Thomaston, Upson county
Dates of publication:
- Began in 1858; ceased in 1864?
- Georgia--Upson County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01213842
- Thomaston (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Upson County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Also on microfilm: Athens, Ga. : University of Georgia Libraries.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 3 (Dec. 2, 1858).
- Suspended Oct. 26-Nov. 30, 1861 because of delay in shipment of paper.
Upson pilot. December 2, 1858
The Upson Pilot was founded by editor and owner G. A. Miller in late 1858 with Jas. R. Hood as publisher. By 1861, the newspaper faced a shortage of materials which resulted in a reduction of sheet and type size. Due to financial difficulties imposed by the American Civil War, the Pilot advertised that it would take items such as firewood or chickens as a form of payment. Assistant editor T. C. Rhodes took full control of the publication in December of 1861 during G. A. Miller’s absence; Benjamin Bethel assisted Rhodes by taking over printing duties. Rhodes left in 1861 to serve in the Confederate Army and the paper eventually ceased publication by early 1862.