Mirror of the times. (Augusta [Ga.]) 1808-1814
Place of Publication:
- Augusta, Richmond county
Dates of publication:
- Began with Oct. 17, 1808 issue.
- Ceased in 1814?
- Augusta (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Georgia--Richmond County.--fast--(OCoLC)fst01215116
- Richmond County (Ga.)--Newspapers.
- Available on microfilm from the University of Georgia Libraries.
- Brigham, C.S. Amer. newspapers
- Continued by: Georgia gazette and general advertiser? Cf. Brigham, C.S. Amer. newspapers.
- Description based on: Vol. 1, no. 3 (Oct. 31, 1808).
- Shaw & Shoemaker
Mirror of the times. October 24, 1808
Quoting Shakespeare, the Mirror of the Times’ first issue on October 17, 1808, ran under the banner
Hold the Mirror up to Nature. The weekly Augusta newspaper was released every Monday and ceased publication in 1814. The paper’s publishers, Daniel Starnes and Co., wrote to their subscribers a promise that the paper would provide civil, religious, and literary reading and ended their testimonial with the quote,
no party but my country, no friend but truth. The paper sought to establish itself as a truthful and moral source of information in the already crowded field of Augusta publications.